Smallville 1/14/04

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Sun, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Just a reminder that a new episode of Smallville is on the slate tonight.

Lex has been commited to a psychiatric holding facility, and is looking to escape.

2. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Go Lex !

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

See, that's just wrong. I like Smallville, but one way that I think they've messed up over the past couple years is making Lex too sympathetic. I mean, during the first season, he was a fun character - smart, charismatic, friendly... And then he'd do something sneaky and underhanded, reminding you that he's Lex Luthor and not to be trusted. Now, though, with Lionel doing most of the heavy lifting on that front, it seems as though even if Lex does wind up doing something evil, it won't be his fault; he'll have been pushed into everything.

Which, I don't know, seems to be an unnecessary neutering of one of pop cultures greatest and most durable villains.

4. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

Conflicted villains are far more interesting than just out and out evil ones. You just described why I love this show and why I love what they're doiong with Lex's character.

5. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    exactly I want to see what lead Lex into being the evil character he turned out to be. I have no problem feeling sympathy for him that would later turn into disgust. You can care about the villians too !

6. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Thanks for the reminder. With all these repeats, I get confused when we actually get a New episode these days.

7. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

A trusim of creating good characters is 'there is no such thing as an 'evil person.' There are only people who's motivations and goals are different than yours.'

8. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Can't wait to see it! Just wish I still had the last one on the RPtv to watch before hand.

9. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Taking a dynamic, forceful character and turning him into a whiner? I mean, over the past three years, Lex has gotten nicer pretty steadily. And giving an easy reason for why he becomes evil - it's all daddy's fault - makes the character less interesting than he was during the first season. Then, we saw Lionel only sparingly and though it was clear he had played a big part in making Lex who he was (and would be), Lex wasn't the pathetic victim he's become this year. He wasn't yet LEX LUTHOR, but he was on his way.

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Well, Lex is even shockingly more docile after what Lionel put him through in tonight's episode.

Clark has his rogue gallery put him through the paces as they plan a full assault on him at the mental health institution.

Plenty of angst on display tonight.

Lana finds a new friend, who pushes her to get through the physical therapy as she recovers from a shattered leg. She still harbors ill feelings towards Clark, and it's tearing him apart more than the rogue's gallery ever could.

11. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I can already tell that I'm going to hate the Lana love interest subplot. I loved the confrontation between Clark and the leecher; it had him displaying the kind of wit and confidence that could be expected from Superman.

I can't say that the convient mind wipe for Lex was all that surprising. Lionel having the "I know your secret" tape was a nice follow through.

Over all some decent plot developments with more of the sloppy writing that has plagued the majority of Season 3 so far.

12. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

Overall I enjoyed the episode. A little predictable at times, but a good hour of televison, and up there with the better episodes. It's been too long since the last episode, so it was refreshing to see the season continue on a rather dramatic & tense level.

Anyone notice the colors that Lex was painting with? Yellow, Blue, and Red. Gotta love how they sneak these little references in every once in a while to remind us that we're watching Superman story. [​IMG] For example, "Belle Reve" (the institution in the show) is actually a high-security prison used in DC comics to hold prisoners with super-powers, and was also used as a base of operations for the "Suicide Squad" (a great series by DC).

I kind of expected that Lex would have some kind of "memory reboot" to erase his knowledge of Clark's powers. I mean, what kind of conflict & tension could there be if the underlying mystery & secret between Lex & Clark's relationship was finally revealed. Nice to see that Clark was willing to help Lex out regardless of the fact that he had to put his secret at risk, and it was also good to see that after everything Lex was willing to risk himself to go after Clark (not that he was at all successfull at pursuing his captors).

I also enjoyed the fact that the writers are not simply going to sit by and forget about characters from previous episodes. They're willing to work with them, combine them, and use them to further the plot. They're also perfectly willing to "do them in" at a moment's notice as well.

My one gripe (and this is starting to play on my nerves on more than a slightly annoying level) is Lana. I hardly doubt that I'm the only one that is sick and tired of her emotional rollercoaster of indecision. At this point, I don't care who she's seeing, who she loves, what she thinks, and what other ordeal she's dealing with. It almost seems like her only role in the show is to play victim in one capacity or another, and it's getting oooooold! Give me Chloe over Lana any day of the week, and please please please give Pete something to do other than wax poetic on the difficulty of keeping Clark's secret!

How fitting was that ending... Lionel erasing his true chance at discovering Clark's secret by his own actions of wiping Lex's mind. Bet he'll be kicking himself over that one. [​IMG]

Moe.

13. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

So the appalling lack of security is not only lame, but ironic. That took me right out of the episode. They needed to have Clark in danger to fill out the hour, so they manufactured this setup with some old villians-of-the-week, which Clark resolves in a few minutes anyway. At least one of them is now dead, so he can't come back.

//Ken

14. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I Half expected to see Clark and Lex kiss at the end.
    Anyone else notice the homoerotic tones with these two?
    I enjoyed the episode and it was cool the way he bumped into the other guys.

I cant honestly remember which one got away. Was it Johnathon Taylor Thomas?

So how long are we going to get a mellow, brain fried Lex?

15. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    We don't exactly know what happened to JTT, since he just ran away when Clark started to nuke Iceman.

As for the episode, I thought it was a pretty good "new chapter" to the story. I'm glad they are getting away from the destiny/aliens on Earth before Clark plot, since I thought it was pretty laughable.

As for the complaint regarding Lex's character, you're forgetting that Lex has gone through several permutations in the comics, from being a raving lunatic to a calculating businessman and points within those extremes. I think it's just interesting to watch him fall from being a good person to his father. The pentiultimate moment in the episode was at the end, when Lionel was going nuts over the video tape. It was like looking into a crystal ball and seeing Lex in 20 years... the frustrated raving, screaming... that was a good moment.

I'm also fed-up with the Lana subplot, it just feels too tacked on to the story, to appeal to a younger female audience.

At least Pete had some good screen time last night, and had some great lines about how hard it is to keep a secret like Clarks. What a great bit, ending with them nearly disclosing it to Chloe (or maybe even doing so, depending on how long she was standing in the doorway.)

The only leap of logic I took was with JTT and Iceman's plan to get out, assuming they would be able to get Clark to come back and wrangle him down. It just didn't work for me. But it was really nice to see those old storylines, otherwise just Freak-Of-The-Weeks, reused. I'm always a big fan of continuity.

Good episode!

16. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I think Jonathan Taylor Thomas' character was killed by the Leech guy. When he wanted to leave Leech through him into some piping.

Also, did anyone like the little X-men reference when JTT comes to help Lex?

17. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    I could have sworn that the annoying little Home Improvement kid was pitched off a dam. If not him, at least his double was which would make it pretty improbable that he could do the whole split thing again.

I was looking forward to the villaims return, but thought the inclusion was forced, especially Eric Sommers leeching Clark's powers for but a brief moment. It needed more development. If I were to pick villains who survived in the past, these two wouldn't be on the list. Leech didn't have a problem with Clark, he had a problem with his parents. If anything, I would think that the reason he'd want Clark's powers back wouldn't be for revenge, but because he feels unempowered. Not to mention, it was never explained that he was the only one that would work with, it was implied the situation created the switch, not the person. So theoretically anyone could bum Clark's powers that way.

Also, would the Kryto-bullet guy really be in an asylum? Wouldn't he be in prison for murder? He wasn't insane, he was seeking revenge.

I guess my main problem is the Smallville is too much like 'X-Files' in that it's great at build ups, terrible at the follow through.

Lana is getting very tired and old. I couldn't stand one scene she was in last night, and almost died laughing when her new guy told her "that she was the type of girl who deserved honesty." Give up the honesty crap! She's sounded like a parrott for over a year now with that word!

I"m glad Pete was at least in this episode. He's been so neglected this season.

18. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    My question is, how is it that easy to transfer Clarks powers. I thought it was a freak thing when it originally happened but two times in this episode.
    Too simple to do.

19. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

It happened twice in the original "Leech" episode as well. Superman has traditionally had a vulnerability to lightning; since he's essentially a solar battery, think of the the lighting as tranferring the juice from one battery to another.

20. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Thanks for the answer.
    So could some refresh my memory on what Lex knows about Lionel from his past that would want him to the things he's doing to his son?