Smallville - 01/14/03

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

OMG, to watch this show in HDTV is just a glorious pasttime. I just now noticed that Lex has this weird split in his upper lip. The colors and detail of this show in HDTV is just really vibrant and stunning.

I couldn't believe the double emotional wallop the writers were able to sandbag us viewers in the final 5 minutes of this episode. Well done.

I wonder if Clark's spaceship is okay after soaking in all that K-radiation/power.

2. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    I don't watch this show regularly, so I was "out of the loop" on the episode ("Visage").

Who is this shapeshifter, "Tina"? Why is she able to go head to head, so to speak, with "superboy"? Is it just the kryptonite?

What's her backstory? In addition to changing form, her clothes change too (except after the impaling). How? Is all this supposed to be genetic, or what?

The casualness of the lesbian theme is rather astonishing. Is she supposed to be "anatomically correct" when she takes outward male form? (No "union" without all the parts working right, I would expect.)

Is anyone else as put off as I am about the blatant music cross-promotion in this program? I find it terribly distracting. Is this a story with its own "real" world, or is this one long commercial?!?!?

3. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Was it soaking, or irradiating? Either way, it could have used a bit of power and/or been a one-time deal. It was a bit of deus ex machina, though. Hopefully it's part of some larger plan with the ship.
    I hope Pete is OK.
    When Lana moved in with Chloe, there was the hope of some Lana/Chloe action, but I didn't think it would be like this [​IMG]
    In the previews for next week it sure seems unlikely that Lex would decide to "turn to the dark side" just now, especially after what just happened with Helen.
    //Ken

4. Ning Wong

Ning Wong Stunt Coordinator

i will be bummed if lex turns bad this season.. [​IMG]

5. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

She was from last seasons episode "X-Ray". Here is the synopsis from www.tvtome.com
    Spoilers
    Clark starts experiencing "vision problems" which of course mean his "x-ray vision" is starting to develop. Meanwhile, prominent figures such as Lex Luthor are commiting crimes such as bank robbery. It turns out a girl named Tina, who idolizes Lana, had soft bones as a child and was "cured" by kryptonite radiation: she now has the power to alter her physical form (and, conveniently, her voice, hair, and skin) to look like anyone she wants. She inadvertently killed her mother, and now plans to kill Lana and take over her life. Clark, with his x-ray vision, is the only one who can make out Tina no matter what form she takes due to her irradiated bones. He confronts her as she tries to kill Lana, and despite Tina wearing the kryptonite necklace she took from Lana, Clark manages to defeat her.

6. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

This was a thoroughly excellent episode that never made me think I was watching Buffy or the X-Files.

IIRC, Tina doesn't change clothing when shifting. I believe she had the opportunity to steal all the clothes she needed.

I agree about the music. All WB shows are this way. It doesn't usually bother me much during the episode though.

As far as next week, I'm betting it's a mislead.

7. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

As a longtime Voyager watcher, I've learned NEVER to be fooled by previews. As someone else said, why would he turn to evil now, after the plea to his 'girlfriend?'

>Is anyone else as put off as I am about the blatant music cross-promotion in this program?>

Ordinarilly, I'd agree with you. But the music seems to fit into the show, so I don't mind it as much. I was also wondering about the Spaceship. Is it 'dead' now, or was it just venting off the radiation from the K into space so it wouldn't harm Clark, or something?

8. Bruce_S

Bruce_S Second Unit

It seems like the writers forgot about Peter after he got beaten up by "Tina". I was suprised that he didn't start screaming for help when he realized that it wasn't "Lana".

I've been watching this since day 1 but not sure if I missed something. As Clark discover his super hearing powers yet? I don't remember.

9. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    I was a bit put off by the level of violence in this episode. Normally, I don't care but my wife is hyper-sensitive to violence (thanks to a rocky childhood) and this is one of those shows we can watch together, but she left after the marine got whacked.

As far as the lesbianism goes, I'm not bothered by its presence, just by its association with homcidal tendencies.

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I was thinking SWF in some spots. [​IMG]

11. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann
    todd s wrote:
    I just wonder whether in anything like a real small town in contemporary America, the characters wouldn't be bothered by its presence---at least enough to point it out, since it is a marked form of behavior (even if Hollywood may choose to pretend otherwise).

12. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>Maybe you don't mind being manipulated, but I'm from the "old school". >
    What Manipulation? I'm not being forced to buy the CD, or listen to the commercial. I'll agree that I don't like mainstream radio, since all the songs sound the same to me anyway, and are repeated add nauseum. I'm one of those strange 20 somethings that spends my time listening to CBS FM, NJ 101.5 and the Big Joe Show, or any Disco music I can find.
    I don't feel Manipulated because they plug their music at the end of the show. No amount of commercials in the world will get me to buy it [​IMG].
    Let 'em plug the CD all they want. So long as they don't have the entire show filled with nothing but 42 minutes worth of WB owned music, I could care less [​IMG].

13. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann
    Neil V wrote:

14. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I agree the Lex thing is probably a mis-lead. Just as ads for this episode said "Lana's boyfriend's back".

15. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Hey, if the music helps in keeping a show I like on the air, no problemo. I also don't buy any of the albums being "pumped" on the show or at the end where they tell you which albums the music came from. Plus, the demographic for the show makes the music tie-ins okay IMHO, and not any more distracting than other pieces of music that show up in other shows. Plus most of the song choices are very appropriate when played to the scenes in question.

Then again, I've watched Smallville from the get-go, perhaps I'm just used to it, and don't get all uptight about it (never did, either).

16. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>Plus most of the song choices are very appropriate when played to the scenes in question.
    Then again, I've watched Smallville from the get-go, perhaps I'm just used to it, and don't get all uptight about it (never did, either).>
    Ditto and Ditto to both those comments here. Better said than I could have put it [​IMG]..

17. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

As far as the lesbianism not bothering the characters, keep in mind these characters are fairly young. They'vc grown up watching the WB. Plus small towns aren't so much how you think anymore.

18. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

The WB has been doing the music tie-ins for a while, maybe since Dawson's Creek (which I never watched). One of the benefits of giant media mega-corps [​IMG]
    I don't recall whether that song by whatshername -- Paula Cole -- was a hit before it was associated with DC. The theme song for Roswell by Dido, Here With Me, definitely became a hit after the show aired.
    //Ken

19. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann
    Ken Chan wrote:

20. Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky Supporting Actor

I'm cool with it so long as they don't start putting (non-Karaoke) pop music in Angel.