What's new

Smallest Subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

Rick Pay

Stunt Coordinator
Never bought a subwoofer, still hard to find the room. I was wondering what the smallest subwoofer that is available out there that would go good with the following setup:

Panny 47 inch

Onkyo 600

JBL S26 fronts

JBL SCenter channel

JBL N24 rears

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Depends a lot on the room. If it isn't too big, why don't you look at some of the JBL subwoofers? The PB-10 and PB-12 have received decent reviews. The Sony SA-WM40 at around $120 is supposed to be excellent bang-for-the-buck for a tight budget. If your budget is higher, the Adire Rava @ $400 and the HSU VTF-2 @ $500 get rave reviews almost everywhere. Go up higher than that, and almost a zillion people on this forum will recommend SVS, but if space is a constraint, maybe that's ruled out.

Cam S

Screenwriter
First of all, how small is small?? By small do you mean the Carver Jr. Sub, or small like a 25-31 SVS sub??

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
You want a TINY sub with suprising output? Check out the Yamaha 8" subs. They produce startling bass from rectangular boxes smaller than mini atx computer cases.

I don't know how good they are as I didn't audition them long. I was just surpised by the smallest size I've seen and a ~$100 price tag at best buy.

farnamT

Agent
Majestic 200 provides twice the efficiency and twice the output of the short-lived Junior product, which it replaces. Carver claims the active driver's 3" excursion and 3lb. box pressure combine to move 200 cubic inches of air—offering the same performance as the original 11" True model.
Its 8 inches square! TINY!!!!
smr_ces_158.jpg

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Box pressure? You mean he puts compressed air into those cabinets? Now that's an idea... would it require compressed air or a vacuum to get deeper bass out of a smaller box?

farnamT

Agent
You would have to make a subwoofer pretty darn air tight so you don't loose the pressure through the years. Obviously Carver has some things up his sleeve. If an 8" cube could have the same output of the MKII 11" then I can't imagine how much more powerful he could make the Signature model with his new design.

SVS is great for people who have the room, but having a sunfire someday with the same output of the Ultra would be great.

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
The Sunfire True Subwoofer Jr is the best small sub I've heard. Punchy, tight, energetic and room filling bass, but perhaps doesn't have the extension of other larger subs.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Dear Rick,
Take a look at this review for the Sunfire Subwoofer Junior - February, 2002:
Link Removed

Rick Pay

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone know if there is a site online to purchase the Sunfire Junior Subwoofer and where I can get the best deal?

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Rick,
I would also suggest looking closely at the EarthQuake 10". Although a bit larger than the Sunfire, it will hit 20HZ with 110 db, and 30HZ at 120 db.
It lists for $840, but I know of much better deals.
It is a bit larger than the Sunfire Jr., but it isn't all that big and it can be had in an attractive cherry or standard black.
Take a look.
http://www.earthquakesound.com/mkiv10.htm
John Casler

Rich Kraus

Stunt Coordinator
so that earthquake is down 10 db@ 20 hz? i cant believe they even post a response curve that looks like that. i wonder how the carvers fare.

there are no free lunches. small subs are full of comprimises (well all subs are, but some i can live with)

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Sunfire True Sub Jr. can go to 25Hz around 97 db. That's probably the best you're going to get from a 9-inch cube. BTW: There are some places on the web that sell Sunfire. The best place to find them at a good price, however, is Ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks