What's new

Smallest Dedicated HT (1 Viewer)

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
We will be adding an addition to our house shortly and I have a space for a small HT. It will be 8x12 but I can expand to get maybe 8x14. I am looking at fitting in 6 seats; 3 front row and three on a riser. Maybe front projected, not sure about that yet.

Who has made the smallest dedicated HT? And, does this seem doable?

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Well, I'd think your biggest problem (HT wise) will be viewing distance. 10 ft is about the standard, so this only leaves you with 2 ft for a second row. Next will be space to actaully get to the second row seating. My couches are are about 84" wide, If I put them in your room, I'd only have 6" on both sides to get around (that's really tight).

So seating will be a big issue, you'd have to get actual theater chairs. My couches are also ~40" deep, so there goes the 2 ft. I think with 10 ft viewing distance you could get about an 80" screen.

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
My HT is 12.5 x 12.5 and I'd have a tough time w/a second row. My viewing distance is about 9 feet with the couch against the wall and I have a 42" TV, which looks fantastic.

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
Mine is 12.5 x 13.5 and I live near mark murphy maybe its a location thing ...LOL

Anyways I would suggest going with the extra length . Also I would recommend getting the berline loveseats. I have 2 put together and can fit 8 adults on them, This is of course with the arms in their upright position...CONFUSED are you (Yodas voice) then see my webpage .

BTW I sit 9 feet from my 65" I too am up against the wall. Also the minimum is not 10 feet but 7.65 acording to thx specs.when I find the link I'll post it.

Just my 2 cents
ED

Here is the link http://www.myhometheater.homestead.c...alculator.html

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
From a 65 inch screen it's ~8 ft., but at ten feet some feel their too close to my 65" screen. But I told him at 10 feet he can go up to 80". At ten feet, 65" screen seems perfect to me, but yes, you can get closer. Rule of thumb here on the HTF has been 1.5 times the screen diagonally equals the viewing distance.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
The Driftwood is 9'x16'. I have a couch in back with 3 seats down front. Click the link below.

Front row is 9' from my 80" screen and the back is 12'. I much prefer the front row.

Peace Out~:D

Russell R

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 12x13 and have two rows with a 6ft wide FPTV. I like it.

Check out the RODERPLEX

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the replies. My goal is for a room where I can shut the door and watch a movie without hearing "turn it down, you'll wake the baby"

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
Lamarcus ,
I am not about to start another argument with you . All I was saying is.... in that link I posted it say around 7.? ' from a 65" rptv . I personally sit around 9' away and I am completely satisfied .

MarkMel

This is OFF topic :
Most childrens doctors will tell you not to be quiet while the baby is sleeping because the child will get used to the house being quiet all the time.

Anyways we follwed that advice and my son will sleep through anything now. He is 6 and his bedtime is 7:30 . Once it turns 7:45 we can watch a movie, including action movies. Oh and his bedroom is above the home theater.

Just my 2 cents
ED

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Thanks but my "baby' is now 4 years old and it was much better when she was smaller. Played stuff at whatever volume. Now that she is 4 and has a mind of her own, I'll hear her yell down "daddy turn it down it's too loud" ;)

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Ed, get outta here man, no arguement. I was actually agreeing with you by saying approx 8 ft, and saying your right, you must have misunderstood me.

I also agree with your off topic subject. Definitely train'em young to get used to the loud levels. Only problem is, I've created a monster and my daughter thinks everything she watches has to be blasting! I tell her movies only baby, movies only.:b :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks