smallest, cheapest 5.1 receiver needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony GT, Sep 8, 2001.

1. Anthony GT

Anthony GT Stunt Coordinator

I'm trying to add home theater to very small room so space is my number one concern, cost second.
    What I've looked for, and haven't found yet, is a receiver that does both DD and DTS surround sound. It doesn't need to have anything fancy or even a lot of power, just be small and cost effective.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?
    The only things I've seen that come close are the HT in a box items which would be fine but I already have the DVD player and speakers.
    Thanks!
    Anthony

2. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

The technics models seem to have what you need. $399.00 CAD or about $250.00 usd for a Technics SADX-1040. DTS and DD, DPL.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Without a price range it is hard to help you. You may be out of luck if the size of the receiver/decoder is important and you alreadu have the DVD, because most AVRs are not as small as the ones included with HTIBs.
    Sony has DD/DTS AVRs for as little as $199. I picked up an STR-DE475 for my bedroom for $159 (brand new) at a local electronics shop, then sold it when I bought my SR6200 and moved my old Sony receiver into the bedroom.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)