What's new

Smallest box for SVS driver? (1 Viewer)

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I'm kinda sick of the whole tube thing and I want a box. I've read about the parameters being about equal to the Shiva, and I think a sealed and stuffed 16" cube would fit my idea of the appropriate box, built with 3/4 MDF.

Am I way off base?

Would be driven by the PE 250 and an ART351. Use would be for 70 - 90db music and movies, no ref level booming.

TIA for any replies...

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Driver specs? Not published but "similar" to Shiva, per Patrick Sun some time ago.

So, assume...

Re 2.9 ohms
Le 2.12 mH
Qms 6.5
Mms 125 grams
Qes 0.41
Cms 0.47 mm/N
Qts 0.39
Rms 2.54 N*s/m
Fs 21 Hz
Sd 481 cm^2
Vas 151 liters
BL 10.80
Xmax 15.8 mm one way
EBP 51.2
SPL 87.2 dB @ 1W/1m No 0.37%
Pmax 375W per voice coil; 650W total to the driver Distortion

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
If you're "assuming" they're "similar" to Shiva, then go to the Adire site and see what boxes they recommend for it.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Tom listed the (basic spec's) at one time in a post.

Im SPEAKING to the (old driver=original 12"-driver) not the newer driver that many upgraded to.

It's (spec's) have been posted here and their at different times. A quick search in the DIY forum should bring them up.
This is how I found them and a few others that where looking.

If still you can't find them, when I get back I will post them for you. I have them at home as bought 4 old SVS drivers for car and home subs I was building. The 2 car boxes of which are still not done.
Like Jack and many others, never enough time these days. Winter is around the corner aways and will get to it then for sure.

Sealed in a 16" cube might be a tade small, but with the ART, 100% stuffing and not looking for any major DB this may work. You will eat amp headroom like crazy bringing the bottom octove up with the ART.
Can't remember at the moment, but I think closer to 2.5 to 3 c-ft was better for the SVS sealed. No boosting or Pari in line.

The boys will help you out once you get the params to see what the 16" cube looks like simmed out.

Good luck
Geoff

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
THX GL...

Old driver here, yeah.

I'm ok with -3 at 25HZ or so anyway...Restrictions on placement favor that specific box dim, and I was looking for opinions on the compromises that box will bring.

My searches were way too big - must constrain!

If it works, I wonder if there's a market for the old 20/39 enclosure...?

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
Here is what you want, I had it on one of my posts.
----------
SVS Stats:
----------
FS- 21 hz
Qts- .38
Qes- .39
Qms- 6.6
Vas- 4.6 ft^3 or 130 liters
Z Impedance- 4ohms
Re- 3.2ohms
SPL- ~87dB
X-max- ~14mm
power handling- ~200w
---------------------

Also, an F3 of 25Hz. No Way, not in that small a box!!!

If anyone wants, I have 2 original drivers for sale. $80 + shipping so = ~$105 to $110. Figure $107 shipped.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
See you got the TS numbers you needed, good deal.

A 16" cube external with 3/4" walls & no bracing leaves you with only aproximently 1.76ft^3 with out the driver or amp installed!

If you choose to go this route I would recommend at around 1.75lbs Acousta poly fill to help the driver see a larger encloser. Should get you up to around 2 to 2.2ft^3 box volume that the driver would now see.

For box volume of 2.0ft^3
QTC around .685 before coil heating
FC-38hz
F3-39hz

Corner loaded and "little" EQ and it should do ya ok.

Let us know what you do end up doing...

Geoff

Alexis

Stunt Coordinator
The titanic drivers from parts express work better in small boxes than the svs or shiva.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Colin

After re reading your start up post, am I to understand that you have a SVS-2039 and now want to remove the driver and go to a small sealed box???

If this is correct the 16" cube may be fine for music but after having the 2039 for movies, your spl volume and extension impact will be "ALLOT LESS"!

Im sure your aware of this and the size constraint and sick of the tube thing is your motivation, but be prepared for quite a differance. Your spl & extension will definitly be noticed... Some thing you may want to chew on for a bit before cutting the MDF for your 16" cube.

You could always put the driver back in the SVS tube and be back to normal.
Also if you build the cube and don't care for it, as Alesix pointed out the
Titanic dose work better in smaller enclosers than the SVS and you could try throwing one of those in their! Excellent driver for small sealed boxes.

Just some stuff to think about. No f3 near 25hz with the SVS driver in a 16" cube even with room gain.....

Good luck
Geoff

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Geoff -

Nail on the head. I'm thinking that since I have a driver and an amp with the SVS, I'd consider swapping enclosures for asthetic purposes, with obvious compromise. Low-investment to try something new.

I'd really like something like NHT's dual 10" (buy or build, prolly build since they're rare and expensive)- that would fit where I need it, and may give enough SPL's for the occasional movie to satisfy my spoilt ears. But for now I'll cut MDF and see what happens. I'll just go as big as I can with it...

Thanks for the replies guys...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks