Smaller films in theaters

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Broadman, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

After going to the movie theater for the first time in a long time to see Spiderman and Star Wars, it hit me how silly it is that the only (albeit very few) movies I've seen in theatres are the mega-huge blokbusters... and I don't even like these types of movies. I enjoy films that are smaller, independant, foreign, even "arty" (though I hate that term). However, I always miss them and forget about them. I figure there must be some people who know this stuff around here. So here's my proposal:
    Let's keep a running thread of the smaller films that are coming out, notifying each other of what's out there and where they are playing. Maybe we can tell each other about specific theaters and what their schedule is like.
    Here's a good place to start: what interesting films are playing in Boston that I can go see? [​IMG]

2. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Wholy crap, where have I been?!
    Mods, please close this. Much apologies. :b

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Actually, this thread could be useful in pointing out places to find these smaller movies that you might not know exist. I've managed to get myself on a bunch of mailing lists for the Boston area and know the websites for The Brattle Theater in Cambridge and Coolidge Corner in Brookline off the top of my head, but others in the area might not (although all it takes is usually picking up a copy of the local alternarag).
    For more "mainstream" boutique stuff, there's Kendall Square, Landmark Waltham and West Newton. There's also some very unusual stuff at the Museum Of Fine Arts, and a great selection of foreign classics (among other programs) at the Harvard Film Archive.
    I'll add links later (supposed to be working now).