Smaller black bars!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by scott cerv, Jan 3, 2003.

1. scott cerv

scott cerv Stunt Coordinator

Hey there,
    I have a Mits WS-55511 and finally got a prog. scan DVD (Pioneer DV45a). I set it all up and everything and love the picture, much better than my previous Denon DVD1000!! One question though... all of a sudden all my 2:35 movies take up more of the screen!! I now only have the 2" bars instead of the 4" bars I had been seeing with the Denon. Could it have been I had the old Denon setup to play on a 4:3 tv and was actually seeing a squished image on the 16:9 CRT I have now?? Do't get me wrong I'm not going to complain. This was all viewed using the "Standard" setting as well. Now I just need to use my AVIA disc for sound and video calibration.

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I too have a 45A connected to a Pioneer WS set (533).

What appears to happen on my set (with anamorphic content in Full mode) is that the set actually blows up the picture a bit. As such, I get bars on 2.35 stuff, but no bars on 1.85 and 1.66 stuff.

Perhaps the same thing happens on yours?

It appears that this only happens in Full mode. Non anamorphic titles, using linear stretch modes DO show bars for 2.35 and 1.85 (have not checked a non-anamorphic 1.66 to see if I get window box bars).

Strictly speaking, this a clear violation of the sacred oath of the OAR, but I have opted to live with it, and thus will soon be sentenced to life in Pan and Scan hell.

BGL

3. Patrick TX

Patrick TX Stunt Coordinator

I have the same TV. I get black bars on all 2:35 material via the progressive scan component input. Our Mitsu will not allow ANY format/zoom/scale functions on the progressive input. I just got a JVC player that has a 13 step zoom, and the bars go away. Yes, I know I'm a OAR heathen.