Small upgrade, big difference!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Corbett, Oct 28, 2001.

1. John Corbett

John Corbett Extra

I bought myself a set of new front speakers yesterday and what a difference they make. First though, let me give you some background. When I was bitten by the HT bug about a year ago I'm afraid that I did some purchasing without doing much research (not like me usually). I decided that all I would need was a receiver, center speaker and surrounds because I really liked the sound of my stereo speakers (an ancient pair of Boston Acoustic A-10s). I was also shopping on a fairly limited budget.
    Anyway, I got a JVC receiver (don't remember the model), Polk Audio CS-245i center and Polk R-10s for surrounds. Sounded pretty impressive for DVDs but lacked something for music compared to my NAD stereo receiver. After living with this setup for about 6 months I sold the JVC to a friend and got a NAD T751 receiver and an Energy e:XL-S8 sub. Major difference. Music sounded great and the sub certainly added to my DVD experience. I was done now, right?
    Wrong! Yesterday I picked up a pair of Polk RT-25i speakers based on a rave review in the September issue of Stereophile. The reviewer basically said that they were the best speakers to be had for under $1000. What an amazing difference. I now understand what the reviewers are talking about when they use phrases like, 'seemless sound stage' and 'timberal matching'. The sound is incredible. Having all of the front speakers use the same drivers (with very similar ones for the rears) makes a big difference. For the first time I felt like I was in a seamless sound bubble while I watched Coppola's Dracula.
    I am very, very pleased with this relatively inexpensive upgrade ($399 CDN).

2. Marv

Marv Stunt Coordinator

I had the exact same results when I bought three Cambridge SoundWorks M80's to cover the front and two M50's for the rears. The nice thing about the Newton M line is the grills and the tweeter/mid are setup to be able to rotate them for setting them on their side. I was always unhappy with my previous center/mains even though they were "matched" . I am still in awe when I listen to my HT now and can't believe I put up with the previous setup for so long.
    ------------------

3. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor