Small ugly Koss DVD players $49 at Target

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jesse Skeen, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Went to Target after work to get some stuff for breakfast and ended up with a Koss "Compact" (meaning it doesn't take batteries, making portability questionable) DVD player for $49.99. It's a little bigger than a portable CD player and is bright orange with a flower design! The thing that sold me on it was that it can do PAL to NTSC conversion. It's also got a zoom function which is fun to play with, and can play MP3 CDs. Plays DVD+RW discs too, and effects of Macrovision on my TV are still noticable but not as severe as other players I've tested on it (my main player has it disabled; my TV bends at the top of the screen when Macrovision is on even though I don't have it going through a VCR!)
    On Yahoo Groups there's a file to download and put on a CDR that supposedly will make it region-free, but I don't have a CD burner to try it so will have to get one of my friends to download it for me. (It seems some Targets are selling these for $24 too, according to messages on that group!) I have 2 PAL discs that are region-free and verified that they display on my NTSC TV, you can also play NTSC discs in PAL format if you want. Has a few other neat things to play with too.
    One caveat: if you like to watch discs with subtitles, I've noticed the picture shifts ever so slightly to the side when subtitles come on and then go off. Onscreen graphics on menus don't look quite right either (text on menus made on a Phillips DVD recorder flickers.)

2. Jason Poirrier

3. Michael St. Clair

Last time I read about these players, you could even get them to play MP3 on DVD-R. Not sure if any firmware changes were needed.