Small (tiny) Speakers??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Harold P, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Harold P

Harold P Extra

Wife was in bose store and now says that I have to have small (tiny) speakers when I get my HT.

Does anyone have any suggestions, along with a receiver, in the $1500 - $2500 range (including speakers (tiny), receiver, etc.).

Thanks.

Harold

2. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Harold,

Speakers,
    1) Check JBL S36, which isnt as big as other bookshelfs but still is big, but it is very easy to hang or install.
    2) One option that you could consider are JBL N24, which are small (not as bose cubes). You could chech an JBL NSP1 package.

Subwoofer,
    1) Try to convince your wife to let you get and SVS, at least the 25-31PCi, it is a great sub. And aslo will fit you budget.
    2) If you wife doesnt like the SVS, try the VTF2 or maybe a PB12 or SA-WM40

Receivers,
    1) Check marantz new line X300 series, you could get an SR7300 for $700 in the net.

Hope this helps,
    Pablo

3. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Do you mean as small as the Bose cubes?? If so, that makes things a little harder. The JBL NSP1 is a pretty compact set, but not quite that small.

There are a number of "home theater in a box" type setups, but the ones w/ speakers that small probably don't sound so good.

4. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Better alternatives to Bose would include the Energy take 5.2 system or Mordaunt-Short 302 Premier system. They are a little bigger than the Bose cubes, but at least they are real speakers that include both a tweeter and woofer (or midrange, perhaps to be completely accurate, since they come with a separate sub).

5. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

If you must buy small speakers then buy a receiver with an adjustable crossover that can be set at a frequency appropriate for those speakers. If the satellite speakers do not have reasonably flat response down to the crossover frequency, there will be a notch (loss of upper bass) between the subwoofer and the satellites. In addition, you risk distortion and damage to the satellite speakers by sending them low frequencies that they can't handle.

6. Charles M Berry

Charles M Berry Stunt Coordinator

A little bigger, but still pretty small, would be the Paradigm Atoms.

7. Dave_Whiting

Dave_Whiting Stunt Coordinator

8. Jeff_Fitz

Jeff_Fitz Stunt Coordinator

Harold:
    There are buyer's guides to entry-level 5.1 speaker systems and entry-level HT receivers at http://hometheater.valuecanuck.com. The buyer's guides include a lot of specs and most importantly for you the speaker specs include measurements for every speaker.
    Hope that helps,
    Jeff

9. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Go out and get the newest copy of DVD, etc. magazine. I haven't heard them personally, but the review of the Mirage Omnisat 6's really piqued my interest. They retail for $1700, but sounded like they presented an absolutely amazing soundstage. That would leave you with enough to buy something like the Harman Kardon 520 or 525. Notice, I'm resisting the urge to bash here, but simply trying to point you toward what could be a better option. I'd also do a search for information on these speakers since I recall users here at HTF really liking them.

10. Mickey Brown

Mickey Brown Stunt Coordinator

Mirage Omnistats are going to be the speakers that are ok with the wife, and ok with the sound.

Most of the other speakers listed on this thread will be too big for most wives, although they are small to guys...

11. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Another speakers that you could consider are Klipsch Quintet.

12. AaronMg

AaronMg Stunt Coordinator

Totem Dreamcatcher . They're small, pleasing to the eye, and most importantly they sound great!

13. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

14. Mark R O

Mark R O Stunt Coordinator

AAD E-Series. May be a tad big at 9"x5"x6", but a set of 4 + the E center and E sub won "Best of Show" at CES. At $1300
    retail for the lot, no less.

15. MatthewK

MatthewK Stunt Coordinator

I personally have the Energy Take 5.2 system coupled with a SVS [​IMG]. I like the Take 5.2s and depending where you are located you probably could get a good deal from an authorized B&M dealer with receiver purchase (good guys comes to mind). I got my system for a really good price when I got a "package deal". [​IMG]
    You could also look at the axiom micro to midi series. The micro series in one review compared somewhat favorably to the Energy Encore series .(http://www.axiomaudio.com/reviews-epicmicro.html)
    With the closeout specials on the micro you could get one for relatively inexpensive (with sub) from canadian retailers. (CDN$799 + $79 shipping = CDN$880 * ~.65 exchange rate = US$572)
    If you buy from axiom directly be sure to use the following page to order a micro-midi system as you will get one of two potential a/v racks free with the purchase (http://www.axiomaudio.com/freestands.htm).
    If interested in axiom probably check out their website (www.axiomaudio.com) or talk to Marc at http://www.audioshop.on.ca/ to find out more.
    Just wanted to pass on some more options for a small speaker system.
    Matthew

16. Harold P

Harold P Extra

You guys are the best.........I have narrowed the search to Energy Take 5.2 w/S8.2 sub. The Klipsch Quintet is a distant second.

One last question? My room is 25 ft. by 15 ft. with tv, treadmill, couch, computer stand and "lounge" chair. Will the Take 5.2 we enough speaker for that size room?

Again, Thanks.

Harold

17. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

Harold,
    I'll solve your space issues! How about 4 Paradigm Studio 20s, a Studio CC, an SVS sub, a Denon 3803, and one important accessory, that will make it all fit your wife's size restrictions...
    ...these.
    Derek

18. MatthewK

MatthewK Stunt Coordinator

Good choice on the Take 5.2s. I personally like them in my setup. [​IMG]
    That's a large room. If your intending to try to fill the whole thing I think you will be pushing the Take 5.2s a little. I think it will be especially taxing on the S8.2 sub.
    I was *not* thrilled with the sub Energy S8.2 and S10.2 sub in my smaller room. I would probably see about getting a Hsu VTF-2 as it probably will be in a similar price range to the MSRP of the S10.2 and, IMHO, beat it hands down.
    For the 5.2 speakers (1x1.2 and 4x2.2s) in my room they work *great* for the listening area which is 13x10 with 10-15' vaulted ceilings.
    The lefthand side, though, opens to a 16x19 room (kitchen & nook). While in the kitchen it definitely lacks. Keep in mind that the kitchen is *not* in the "crosshairs" of the speakers and none of them are facing the kitchen so this will explain much of the sound issues. That said I do know with other larger speakers I have heard they would fill the kitchen with sound a lot more.
    Whew... Hope that all made sense! Basically I think a room that size probably would be pushing the Take 5.2 system and you might want to atleast look for a setup with larger main speakers. With a room that size perhaps check out the Energy Encore setup? Again would, personally, recommend an non-energy sub.
    From what I have read, with "larger" mains M2i or M3ti main, vp100 center and qs4 surrounds may work. You could probably get these below ~CDN$1150 (~US$740) shipped from a Axiom reseller and pair that with from a VTF-2 (~US$500). That takes you to about $1240.
    With the remaining $260-$1260 you should be able to get a nice receiver. I am sure you can search the forums here and find something that meets your needs.
    Just my 2cents.
    Matthew

19. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

nOrh ceramic (or wood) 4.0 package plus a HSU VTF-3 would fill that room with sound quite nicely. The problem you may run into is that of too much room for the speaker. You may want to ask around and see if anyone in your area has some of the internet only speakers (such as nOrh, SVS, HSU, Axiom, Ascend Acoustics, etc.) and try to demo them.