Small Theater Layout

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Bernie_A, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Bernie_A

Bernie_A Stunt Coordinator

My HT is 11x16 w/ 10 cl'gs. I want to go 7.1 and I already have a 5.1 setup so my question is, with this size room: A) Would I really miss not having a 7.1 and B) Would you go bi-pole for the mid-surrounds or just another pair of bookshelves to match my current rear surrounds?

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Your room is the same size as mine. I have 6.1 with quasi dipole surrounds and a monopole (direct radiating rear centre) to anchor the back. With 7.1, I would try to match as many speakers as I could and if this is possible for you, select all mid and rear surrounds as the same type of speaker. if not, then I would get the mid and rear surrounds using the same type of speaker and closelt match the rear centre with a centre speaker with the same tonalities.

3. Bernie_A

Bernie_A Stunt Coordinator

I think I am going to plan for 7.1 and provide speaker wires where they need to go. I like the way it sounds and for right now at least, I am really jonesin hard for a FP. That's going to cost at least 3K +/- $$$$

Upgrade the sub and I should be good to go for a while.

The room is going to be a single car garage converted into HT. It's got drywall now but not insulated. The door is coming off and a window / potshelf added to match the other houses in the tract.

Opinions on our proposed wall prep: pump sound-proof insulation into the 3 exterior walls, put resilient channels over the existing drywall, 1 layer of sound board and then 1 layer of 5/8" gyp board. Paint

Opinions on our proposed floor prep: We plan on building up a little subfloor out of wood to flush out the step-down from the house to garage. I have heard that this will result in better bass as well as it will provide another place to run wires, etc.

Of coarse, we plan on adding a few recessed can lights and a couple wall sconces...all on dimmers.

I look forward to everyone's ideas as well.