What's new

Small Subwoofers (1 Viewer)

BryanMM

Grip
I apparently can not fit my PB1 ISD into my dorm room, so I need to buy something smaller. Are there any good subs that are relatively small and cheap? How is the HSU STF-1 or how about the JBL E150P? I don't want it to to be too loud and intrusive by the way.

The room is 11 x 13.5 by the way.

BryanMM

Grip
$300 maybe? I'm a poor college student. :frowning:

I think it's too late to return my PB1.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Bryan,

Going from that sub to something smaller can be disappointing. Have you looked at the new PB-10? You could sell your PB1, get the PB-10, and make a profit.

Of course, any of the Hsu subs would work very well in a dorm situation, and if space is a premium, that could be the way to go.

-Robb

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
I think Wayne's suggestion, especially if you want to keep your current PB1 until you have the space, is a marvelous one.

-Robb

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Bryan: based on personal experience, in a dorm situation ANY subwoofer is going to be loud & intrusive, especially if you don't live on the ground floor. The subsonic frequencies in particular will go right through the walls/floor. So unless your mains use 4" or smaller woofers and/or everyone living around you including your R.A. is deaf, personally I wouldn't bother with a sub at all.

But if you absolutely gotta/have-to-have a sub, look for one with an 8" woofer. I know that sounds anti-HT but we're talking community living here and this size won't have so much of the subsonic stuff to piss-off other students but will still have solid 40Hz+ bass for movies and music. And, they can sit in the corner or under a bed pretty easily. And fit into a car more easily at moving time when the end of the semester rolls around.

For example, Velodyne and Infinity make subs this size, IIRC both under $300 and IMO both sounded good--just none of the "rumbly stuff".

Cambridge SoundWorks also sells an 8 incher. Looks like it comes with suction feet to prevent "walking" while watching LOTR or listening to disco records. :)

BryanMM

Grip
How do the Dayton subs work? I thought Dayton only made the woofers, not the assembled unit.

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
"How do the Dayton subs work? I thought Dayton only made the woofers, not the assembled unit."
partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-632

I have this sub. I have heard nothing in it's price range that comes close. That being said, I don't find it acceptable for music. You'll need to spend more money for a decent music sub. the Hsu would be my current choice. Competition is heating up and prices are coming down. If you can wait till Spring semester, you'll probably be rewarded with more choices at lower cost.

David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks