small sub advice- Velodyne HGS-12 vs Earthquake MKIV-12 vs Sunfire TrueSub Signature

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MarkGT, Sep 4, 2002.

1. MarkGT

MarkGT Auditioning

Finally buying a new sub and am looking to the experts for some advice. As size constraints are rigid, I'm limited to enclosures less than or equal to 15x15x15, however, I still want a full range sub. After much reading and some auditioning, I've narrowed the field to three. All are around the same price and size. I have heard the Velodyne and was impressed by its clean power and range. I have heard the Sunfire True Sub (not Signature) and was impressed by its "oomph" but thought that the Velodyne was cleaner. I have no way of hearing the Earthquake and am wondering what other people's thoughts are concerning these 3 subs -- especially those who have compared them first hand. My gut tells me I'd like the Velodyne as I'm a 50% music 50% movie guy. Thanks in advance, Mark

2. Michael Roderiques

Michael Roderiques Stunt Coordinator

Mark

Have no experience with earthquake subs, so no comment on them. I have seen a few people post information about them here. I would suggest a search of the archives for more info on all the subs you list.

As far as a Velodyne or a Sunfire. Having tested side by side all the sunfire units with Velodyne units. My recommendation would be the Velodyne.

Did you get an opportunity to try an SPL model?
    The SPL is a lower cost Velodyne and the SPL-1200 is in your size range.Plus it is very close to the HGS in performance, with a bit more "oomph"

Also take a look at the sub-woofer for sale page

3. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Mark,

First of all a disclaimer: I am not an expert.

I was in a similar situation as you, looking for a smaller sub in the same price range as you. My considerations were the Earthquake, Velo SPL-12 and the Sunfire. Requirements were around the same size. The SVS product line was a strong consideration as was the HSU, but the WAF on the SVS and the HSU was a bit larger in size then I could accommodate.

These are some comments from a guy who I purchased my sub from who does custom installations for Home Theater as his profession. He does not sell Sunfire products. Take them for what they are worth to you.

"The SPL-1200 is FAR FAR better than the SPL1000. Remember Pie Radius Squared in geometry? The 12 inch has more than 40% greater area and the 1000 is just not enough for you. Also, the 1200 sounds better than the HGS-12II (more musical) as the servo degrades the output and the 1200 actually has more "oomph" even with 1/2 the wattage."

"The Earthquake is a VERY nice little sub. You really need decent base management on the processor(variable crossover) as the freq response is not flat above 50 HZ to 80HZ range. Therefore, it you have an auto 80HZ crossover, you will be missing midbase from 80 down to 50HZ.

The Velo is flatter. If you have base management, this is not an issue. The Earthquake is a great deal and a lot of output."

To make a long story short, I too am a 50/50, HT/Music person. I listened to the Velo's locally and thought they were great subs. However I took a chance after a lot of research, asking people on other forums and purchased the Earthquake MKIV-12 and never looked back.

The Earthquake is a strong, powerful piece of equipment for its size and cost if you want a box type sub, which fit my requirments to the T. It does very well with music and for HT, it's a mover and a shaker with quality, firm, unpunchy base. LOTR does not phase the darn thing and it keeps coming back for more.

The negatives of the sub are it's appearance as it is an open type box without any cloth covering. You can see the Magma driver and the slaps exposed. It does not bother me at all, even when I have it displayed. I think it looks kinda cool. Currently I have it hidden in the back of my room and never see it, but I sure can feel it.

Also, some have said that they do not like the full range speaker connectors on the Earthquake. That never influenced my decision.

I did not listen or intend to buy the Sunfire for personal reasons, but the buzz in the past has been it's a great sub.

It was a tough decision for me choosing between these fine products, but in the end I decided on the Earthquake and am happy I did.

There may not be a lot of feedback about the Earthquake sub as I tried to get as much info as possible, but info was limited.

A lot of information was available on the Velo, SVS, and Hsu. Sunfire information also was limited in nature, but there was more of it then on the Earthquake.

If you have any questions, feel free to mail me on here and I'll answer them for you on the Earthquake. I am not a brand loyal type of guy where mine is the best choice. All of these are fine products. Again, it's a win, win, win situation with either choice.

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I personally would opt for the Earthquake myself. And the frequency response above 50Hz can be tamed with a BFD, which you should probably have at some point anyway.

Brian

5. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

My $0.02 for what it's worth, and my disclaimer, I am no expert!
    I have had the Sunfire Signature, Great for the HT,
    I found it difficult to tame down for the music,
    I now have a Earthquake MKIII that has all the updates of the MKIV, courtesy of Earthquake, The MKIII is the older model and in my opinion has the nicer cabinet with the smoked black glass/plexi on the top and veneer box. Controls are on the bottom, still has the remote feature, nice to keep the controls out of the reach of kids.
    The Earthquake is a great HT sub, needs a little work with placement for the music, it's a fine music sub as well when the placement is right.
    I also have a Velodyne HGS-10,
    I use this HGS with my Mirage setup, My Mirage OM-5's are powered towers, each tower has two 8" subs with 250w amps.
    The HGS-10 is used for the LFE, Great sub!, I even messed with my cross-over and pulled the A/C plug from the OM-5 towers, Hence no active subs now within my mains, Wow what a blend with the HGS, I also have a Paradigm PW-2200, Just sold it today.
    HGS replaced the PW-2200 as the wife wanted a smaller boxed sub.
    With the addition of the Mirage OM-5's we no longer needed the power of the paradigm PW-2200. I found the paradigm to be a fantastic HT sub!, again just as the Earthquake, you must take the time and play with the placement to get the most out of it's musical capabilities, It can be done and can sound great and totally disappear. Back to the small box sub's, If it was me again looking to purchase a small sub, I would go with either the Earthquake or Velodyne HGS.

Take your time and check out all options.

6. Rich X

Rich X Stunt Coordinator

I've never hear the earthquake, but I'm very curious about given the comments in this thread. I've auditioned the sunfires and velos and have similar music/HT requirements.

Both are great subs, but I think the Velo HGS-12 has the edge over the sunfire sig for music. I personally own the SPL1000 which is a really good sub. Clearly not as good as the SPL1200 or any of the HGS line. I went with the SPL1000 for the system it is in mostly for budget and size reasons. I'm in the process of putting together another system for a listening/theater room that I am building in my basement. I will probably go with two HGS series velos for that set-up, though I may have to find a place where I can audition an Earthquake.

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Rich,

How important is the size of the subs? If you're willing to go bigger you can get much better performance for far less money. Hell, the Adire Audio Dharman is equivalent to the HGS15 from an output standpoint and only costs $599 + shipping. With a dedicated room I'd do my best to maximize my performance to cost ratio.

Brian

8. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

I like the Velo and the Earthquake, but the Earthquake is the one I would get.

I have no idea where that installer got the 50 hz number, but when I run sweeps on the sub, it looks fine.

Go Earthquake.

John

9. Rich X

Rich X Stunt Coordinator

Brian,
    I am always up for saving money, particularly if I don't have to give up performance or aesthetics. I've read a lot of the threads about the DIY subs and some of the Adire products and am interested, but I've never heard one.

For the theater that I am building in my basement I plan to put two subs along the front wall inside a custom cabinet. Size is somewhat of a constraint, though I'm still in the design phase and could adjust the dimensions of the cabinet within reason. Probably the largest size would be around a 22" cube. Since the subs will go into a cabinet the outside finish is almost irrelevant.

I'm pretty handy with woodworking tools, but frankly I'm not sure that I have the time for a DIY project. My priorty in choosing a sub is definitely musical performance over HT impact. That being said it would be nice to have close to the best of both worlds. Would the Adire Dharman fit my requrirements? Do you have other suggestions?

10. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Rich,

I think the Dharman would do nicely for you. It's basically a 21.25" cube if you take into account the base attached to the bottom of it. I'd much rather spend $1200 on dual Dharmans and have the output of dual HGS15's if there's room.

Brian

11. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Could also build dual sealed Tempests or Maelstroms into the cabinet.

12. Rich X

Rich X Stunt Coordinator

Brian & Dustin,
    Thanks for the tips. I checked out the Dharman on the Adire website. Looks like a nice piece. Should I be concerned at all with the ported design for music? Would I be better off with the Rava SE which is sealed? I really like the sound of the HGS-12,15,&18's. My other favorites are Revel B-15 and Aerial AW12. I'f I could get that perfomance at a fraction of the cost I would be really happy. (More money for other toys)

Dustin: I've read some of your references to the Tempests and Maelstroms in some of these threads but I'm not familar with them. Where would I find more info?

13. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

14. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

15. Rich X

Rich X Stunt Coordinator

The Tempests and Maelstoms look like impressive drivers. Since I am looking for a set-up that would lend itself well to a custom design, I'm starting to get visions (or delusions?) of dual tempests in sealed boxes placed inside my cabinet.

With the money I'll save on subs, I can afford even better mains.

Brian: I will e-mail you. Thanks again.