Small speakers for HT

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Loren Jones, Nov 11, 2001.

1. Loren Jones

Loren Jones Agent

Hi,
    I am just getting ready to enter the world of HT. I have a sub and DVD player, and my receiver choice is made (Outlaw 1050), so now I am working on the main, center, and surround speakers. My priorities for this project are low cost and small size (SAF on both counts), and I will be building my own.
    What midbasses would people here recommend to go in 4 liters or less with an F3 of 80 hz or so? What tweeters to go with that. Currently I am leaning toward Seas P14RC/TV and an Audax TMO25F9 in 3 liters tuned to 75 hz. Other options considered were Vifa M14SG09 and the 3" driver at Adire. Has anyone here had experience with any of these drivers? What opinions can you give me? Also, what about LPG tweeters?
    Thanks,
    Loren Jones

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Loren,
    I think you mean the Vifa M13SG not the M14. Anyway, my ACI Emeralds use the M13 and I love the sound. The cabinets for the Emeralds are .2ft^3 which I believe is about 5L or so. They also use a Vifa shielded 1" soft dome tweeter (D27-SG-05). I think you'd be really happy with something like this. I'm assuming you'll be designing your own crossovers?
    Brian
    ------------------

3. Loren Jones

Loren Jones Agent

Yes,
    I do mean the M13SG09. I am actually planning to use a madisound LEAP design for the crossover. I guess if I wanted to use the M13 I could then use the surround from the Madisound Vifa AV kits. I guess what I am looking for is someone who has experience with both of those woofers to help me decide which one to go with. Do you know which Vifa tweeter is in the emerald? I see the emeralds are a ported design with extension to 66hz. When I model the woofer in WinISD I get a volume of 7.5 liters to give the 66 hz extension. It will go 110 hz in 3.9 liters sealed. 7.5 liters is certainly not large, but I am still interested in the Seas at 3 liters vented. When integrating with a sub with a fairly flexible crossover in my receiver am I likely to notice the difference between extension to 75hz versus 110 hz?
    Thanks,
    Loren Jones

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I stated the Vifa tweeter in the Emerald in my above post. But since I'm such a nice guy, [​IMG] I'll post it again. It's the D27-SG-05. I really can't say how noticeable the differences will be between the two alignments. I have a rather large room and prefer to run my Emeralds with the ports plugged. I think they have better transient response this way and have better power handling capabilities.
    Brian