1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Small speakers, big sound for movies & music?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by MilesK, Jan 12, 2006.

1. MilesK

MilesK Auditioning

Ahh marriage, ain't it grand? It brings love, happiness, and the dreaded conversation "the speakers are too big". At least I get to buy a new flat panel in exchange for swapping out the speakers[​IMG]

What are some speaker systems I should look at? I'm not exicted about what I have read so far on the tiny speaker systems. I know they are not a match for traditional systems, but I'm boxed into a corner. I would consider anything from budget to high end, as long as the sound is good. It is for a small to medium sized room. Music sound quality is important as these will be the main speakers.

Thanks!

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

If I had to get mini, I'd get a pair of 8" subs for the main L/R, and run them as large / speaker level feed.

Then a good 12 for the LFE.

I have no experience with any micro sats, but that's my plan for the bass if I ever want smalls.

3. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

I just took delivery of the Orb Audio Super 8 sub. Terrific quality for the money and excellent for music -- tight, deep and detailed. Quite impressive for a 12" cube.

I've owned a number of well-regarded subs including the Adire Rava, Paradigm PDR-10, Energy 8.2, and now Pinnacle SubSonic and Super 8.

If the little Orbs live up to their reputation for sound quality, a 5.1 set would do fine, perhaps even better than fine, in your "small to medium sized room." The nice thing is that you can buy the single spheres now, then upgrade later to the double spheres if you decide you want a bigger, fuller sound or move into a larger house.

You don't mention a budget but I've been a big KEF fan for some years now (I have a pair of KEF Q15s for a bedroom system and Q3s for my dedicated HT) so you might look into their little "eggs." The Uni-Q array provides very coherent, open, and detailed sound for music.

Good luck and happy hunting!

4. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

Martin Logan and B&W make plasma friendly speakers that have gotten good reviews.

Can you compromise with a good bookshelf, hide the sub and use in-wall or in-ceiling speakers?

I'm lucky my SO tolerates my hobby.

5. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

Paradigm Cinema 110 CT, around $850 for the complete package (comes in one box). Outstanding little set of speakers.

6. Chad F.

Chad F. Agent

I hae actually been researching another small speaker system to replace my Bose AM 10 system. I only want to spend $1,000 or so and have found the reviews of the SVS SBS 01s and Definitive Technology ProCinema 80s to be outstanding in this small speaker category. I have a 19' by 15' room for mine and the Bose fill it well so I can only imagine what either of these systems would do. The SVS system are bookshelf 5.25s but the Def Tech is 3.5 so maybe a bit more suited to your Wifes tastes. Both have amazing subs and since you can't truly tell where most bass is coming from one would be ok.

7. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

I'm actually quite pleased with my SuperOnes and SuperZeros (Zeros as surrounds.)

I recently added a Onyx Rocket sub for low-end support.

The space I'm in, however, isn't terribly large, either.

Leo

8. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Move your stuff to the basement. Still get the new flat panel and keep your large speakers, too. [​IMG]

9. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

It's called the 'WF'(Wife Factor). We all go through it, hold your ground.

10. Christopher K

Christopher K Auditioning

Actually, I've been lucky as far as the Wife Factor is concerned. She shares my interest in New Toys as much as I do, and she's all on board for the Great TV Upgrade Project, as we call it.

Of course, she acts as my Financial Conscience, keeping me from spending to much.

I've got to change my main speakers because with the new, larger set we've got coming, I simply no longer have the space for the big boxy Infinity's I'm using as my current Fronts. I need smaller speakers, which I'm probably either going to mount on the wall.

I've been reading this thread with interest.

Based on what I've read here and other places, it appears that my best choices are as follows:
    • Harman Kardon HKTS14
    • Orb Audio "People's Choice"
    • Klipsch Quintet II system with KSW12 subwoofer
    • NHT Super Zero XU Bookshelf Speakers*
    • Athena Technologies Micra 6 System
    * - Most likely match this with a HSU Research STF-1 Subwoofer.

I've also looked at the HSU Research Ventriloquist VT-12 (odd need to hook everything up through the Center Speaker, which I don't think would work with A/V Receiver) and the Anthony Gallo Acoustics' Nucleus Micro (nearest "Authorized Dealer" is a loooooong drive away, and I don't really want to take a Road Trip to buy speakers)

I currently got a pair of Technics SB-C22 acting as my rear surrounds. I'll probably keep them (they work fine, after all) and make them my "side surrounds") so that I have a 7.1 system.

11. Christopher K

Okay, I now realize that "Ventriloquist VT-12 won't work with my receiver" was a pretty ignorant thing to say, now that I've researched it.

That being said, and done more research, it's narrowed down to two:

HSU Research Ventriloquist VT-12 with STF-1 Subwoofer.
    JBL SCS300.7 7.1 Channel HT Kit.

To be honest, I would rather get the Orb Audio "People's Choice", but after purchasing wall-mounting brackets, it's almost $1,100. And the wife is saying "nope."

I'll be hooking it up for a Yamaha RX-V1600 A/V Receiver.

The JBL SCS300.7 has the pro's of being fully 7.1, having all satellites come with adjustable wall-mounts, and being much more affordable ($339.99 + Free Shipping at J&R Music World). I see that I'll have to buy a Y-Adapter for this set's subwoofer.

The HSU Ventriloquist has the advantage of having a superior subwoofer and better connectors on the back of the speakers. I also understand that the HSU equipment is generally of superior build, construction and quality-wise. Unfortunately, you have to buy your own adjustable wall-mounts (at about $20.00-$30.00 each, so that's an extra $100.00-$150.00). Also, I'm a little leery of a system that uses a "trick" to generate mid-range sound (but maybe this is an irrational fear, based on what I've read in reviews). I can get the Ventriloquist system with a STF-1 subwoofer for $479.99 + Free Shipping at acousticsounddesign.com.

Oh, decisions, decisions!

12. MilesK

MilesK Auditioning

I've narrowed it down a bit and am now looking at four different ones, love to hear the comparisons around these. All are pretty close in price and seem pretty similar. Music quality is important to me, since as I said before, these are for my main system.

HSU Ventriloquist with STF-1
    Energy act6
    Definitive Technology ProCinema60
    Athena Micra 6 (with a new reciever because this speaker system is so damn cheap!)

13. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

MilesK

have u seen the Magnepan MMG-W (these are $299/pr - a sub is required)

other than that I hope you also take a listen to the Paradigm Cinema series mentioned above. the 110CT Will match the flat panel looks

14. Christopher K

Well, I decided to go with the HSU Ventriloquist & STF-1 combo.

When it gets here and I hook it up, I'll post my impressions (I don't want to say "review" 'cause my ears aren't good enough to give a proper review!)

15. derekBannatyne

What about the Athena Point 5s? They're pretty small (8.5x5.5x6.5), and in my opinion, sound great, especially for the price. I think they look pretty nice too.