Small speaker for stereo use?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Tillman, Dec 7, 2001.

1. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

I have a VSX-07 (120wpc & dd5.1) to put back into service as a stereo receiver for our 14x19 Living Room.

My SO's wish is to keep the speakers small as possible, as she is making the Living Room comfortable but not

Den-ish. Wall mounted won't work as big French doors are in the way. I've got a feeling that floor towers will be to imposing for her. That leaves stand mounted bookshelfs as my way to go.

So, with ample power in the 07', what SMALL but (full sounding) speakers in the $300-500 range should I give a listen to? Music tastes run all over the place.

2. Michael Frommer

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I have not listened to Norh, but I would recommend checking them out based on the large number of great reviews.
    Of speakers I've listened to in that price range (and own), my favorite so far is the Paradigm Mini Monitor at ~$350 MSRP, but I've seen them for as little as $280 brand new ( www.paradigm.ca ) They have nice punchy bass, but do not go very low, around 50Hz, rolling off completely by 43Hz. I often listen to music with them set to large with my sub off, and I think they sound wonderful. If you need more bass, the next step would probably be, as somewhat larger bookshelf, the Monitor 5 (the 3 is not bad, but the 5 is better) or add a sub.
    **My SO didn't like my large speakers either, but she is fine with these on stands. [​IMG]
    With plenty of power, I would also recommend the NHT SB1. They are sealed and thus have very tight bass and are very accurate for music.

4. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

If this is for music:
    Triangle Titus
    Dynaudio Audience 40 (should be within your price range used)
    JM Reynaud Twin MkII (can be found used for $600 or so)
    GR Research Paradox 1 (a kit with a pre-built cabinet, needs assembly)
    From what I've read, all of those will probably sound better than the Paradigm Mini Monitors. I own the Mini Monitors, and these are some of the good-sounding budget speakers I came across in my search for my next speaker.
    I would really recommend you look into the Triangle and Dynaudio lines of speakers. www.audioreview.com and www.audioasylum.com would be good places to start. There were a couple of threads about Dynaudio on HTF a few days back.

5. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I also recommend you audtion the Paradigm Mini Monitors. IMO, they have a great sound for the price of around $325/pair. I would also suggest you look at PSB. They have a very similar sound as Paradigms.

6. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

My recommendation to you would be either the http://www.av123.com
    If the 5.1s are too big, then you may want to go for either Prism 5.2s or drum 3.0s. Paradigm Titans or B&W DM303s may also work.

7. BradZ

BradZ Stunt Coordinator

look at accoustic energy aegis one. best $300 pair of speakers I've ever heard.

If you can swing a little more $$$, seriously look at Dynaudio Audience 42. Dynaudio Audience series is the best bang for the buck in high-end audio.

good luck.

8. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

Wow, thanks for the suggestions.

I do have a Paradigm sub which I like a lot so looking at the mini's would be great. I was following the Dynaudio thread which had me thinking about the 42's also.

BryanZ, that 5.1 looks beautiful. My wife likes wood so I'm sure she'd be impressed. Can you tell me a little about the sound? I read their website and was impressed with what they had to say. Actually, I have a pair of Snell model J's (old) which use great sounding Vifa drivers, so I have an affinity there. Is the low range OK or do you have to crank up the amp to apreciate their sound? Also, what do you use for stands? If these sound as good as they look I might spring for them.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

9. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Check www.harmonicdiscord.com - they have a dedicated nOrh forum there. You could also search the archives here at HTF, there will be more than enough threads discussing these speakers.

10. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    Soliloquy Sat 5's.

Mike