Small sealed tempest

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by AjayM, Dec 2, 2003.

1. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

Everybody,

I'm in need of dropping the size of my current low Q sealed Tempest down to something a little more reasonable for asthetic reasons. Currently the enclosure is around 170-180l, I was looking over some of the "sealed" designs Adire posted and the .9 Q enclosure caught my eye, well the 67l enclosure caught my eye. Modeling that size enclosure with the tempest does give me a small sub 1db peak and an F3 in the high 30Hz range.

So what would happen if I were to stuff the Tempest into such an enclosure and then try and smooth out the response with my behringer FD? I'm not in need of max SPL nor do I need response down into the brain melting Hz range. Right now with the large enclosure I'm about 3db down at 19/20Hz. What will I lose by going to such a small enclosure and throwing some EQ at it?

Andrew

2. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

You will have reduced low frequency extension and efficiency.

3. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

I tried out the 67L design and did not like it. It didn't give a flat sound. It sounded very peaky around 40hz- even in my small living room. It still had decent extension on movies but didn't give a good response with music and critical listening. I've tried MANY sealed designs and I've settled on 100L heavily (85%) stuffed. It's pretty flat, good extension, and is relatively small. I wouldn't recommend going any smaller than this. I believe Adire settled on 109L sealed with stuffing for their Daeva sub-->should have a final Q of ~.7 with stuffing.

4. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I'd recommend selling (trading with someone here, or moving it to the car)the Tempest and acquiring a driver that would model better in a smaller cabinet.