1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Small sealed tempest

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by AjayM, Dec 2, 2003.

1. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

Everybody,

I'm in need of dropping the size of my current low Q sealed Tempest down to something a little more reasonable for asthetic reasons. Currently the enclosure is around 170-180l, I was looking over some of the "sealed" designs Adire posted and the .9 Q enclosure caught my eye, well the 67l enclosure caught my eye. Modeling that size enclosure with the tempest does give me a small sub 1db peak and an F3 in the high 30Hz range.

So what would happen if I were to stuff the Tempest into such an enclosure and then try and smooth out the response with my behringer FD? I'm not in need of max SPL nor do I need response down into the brain melting Hz range. Right now with the large enclosure I'm about 3db down at 19/20Hz. What will I lose by going to such a small enclosure and throwing some EQ at it?

Andrew

2. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

You will have reduced low frequency extension and efficiency.

3. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

I tried out the 67L design and did not like it. It didn't give a flat sound. It sounded very peaky around 40hz- even in my small living room. It still had decent extension on movies but didn't give a good response with music and critical listening. I've tried MANY sealed designs and I've settled on 100L heavily (85%) stuffed. It's pretty flat, good extension, and is relatively small. I wouldn't recommend going any smaller than this. I believe Adire settled on 109L sealed with stuffing for their Daeva sub-->should have a final Q of ~.7 with stuffing.

4. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I'd recommend selling (trading with someone here, or moving it to the car)the Tempest and acquiring a driver that would model better in a smaller cabinet.