What's new

Small screen size and a fixed distance for projector---HELP! (1 Viewer)

Nellie312

Auditioning
Real Name
Lynelle Hamilton
Here is my set up. I have a 50" (Da-Lite square format) screen that is recessed into a pocket in front of my fireplace. I have an old projector (NEC VT670) and wanted to use it to project movies onto the screen, using a media cabinet placed behind my couch (12 feet from screen). The image at that distance FAR exceeds the screen size. For a bunch of reasons, moving the projector closer is not really workable.
So, I am looking for help to either find a projector with a 48-50 inch horizontal projection at 12 feet or suggestions for a good screen that will maximize viewing area, but be no larger than 63" with case (the max I can extend the recessed area).
Any suggestions? If I'm replacing the projector, I'd want a LED if possible, as I'm moving to solar panels and going off grid (please, no barbs about the obvious contradictions between Home Theater and solar :)) Been on projector central, but have no idea about any of the potential projectors in the real world (and some have $$tags of 15K or more, not within my budget.) I'd prefer to stay around $1200. Any advice is appreciated!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I love my projector, but I would never use one with such a small screen size. Why not just use a flat panel TV in that spot? Your other option is to use a larger screen that drops down in front of the fireplace.

Nellie312

Auditioning
Real Name
Lynelle Hamilton
Hi Jim:
Thank you for the post!
The TV was my first thought, but because the projection area is directly over the fireplace (actually a masonry heater), I'd been advised that the electronics wouldn't take the warmth. The screen I have retracts, so it's away from the radiant part of the heater most times. Also, there is no power to the area and I don't want t break the seal (the house is essentially airtight) to install the cabling/wiring.
The larger screen is the ticket, I think, but because I am still limited in the size of the cavity into which the screen will fit, I want one with as little "edge banding" as possible.
Nellie

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Other than putting a TV or a larger screen somewhere else, I have no other advice. Limiting yourself to such a small screen size makes no sense to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks