What's new

Small Rooms: Is it possible to have too 'much' speakers? (1 Viewer)

Chad Viro

Stunt Coordinator
Hello everyone:
I suppose this is a general question that I have been wondering about. In about a month, I am going to be moving into my new townhouse and was wondering: Is it possible to have too 'powerful' speakers for a room?

For instance, say you had a 8x8 room. Disregarding financial information (ala, the cost of the speakers, etc), would it be unwise to purchase, say, Axiom M60ti,QS8, and VP150 speakers instead of the bookshelf speakers? Is it possible to have 'too much'?

Just curious!Take care everyone.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
You always have a volume knob. Get what you want, that's what I say. The only consideration is that if you're going to have your HT in that small of a room for a while, then some of the speakers added capabilities may go to waste, and that money have been better spent elsewhere. I think the place where this applies the most in small room situations is with the sub. Particularly if you have to worry about neighbors.

If your room is really 8x8, I would consider investing in some bass traps (or build some yourself).

Bob Brick

Grip
Hey Chad, you're the same guy asking about having a subwoofer in a townhouse.

Anyway, in an 8X8 room, you'd be better off with near field monitors....because anywhere in that small room you'd be *near* those speakers, wouldn't you?

Also, a square room is bad (usually) for sound.
Best bet? Probably headphones.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Chad you seem to have several threads going with a similar theme....instead of multiple threads with different aspects that are all relative to each other....you might get the most complete response by listing all topics within one thread, so those trying to help have the complete picture of your upcomming room change.

Good Luck
Ron

Chad Viro

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry about that, Ron. The only reason why I broke them up was in case someone else down the road was wondering the same thing.

If an admin/mod wants to merge my threads, I have nothing against that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks