Small Room Speaker Package

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Rhino, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Ryan Rhino

Ryan Rhino Auditioning

OK folks, have a small living room approx 9 ft x 15 feet.

Space consideration required me to blow most of my money on a 42 inch plasma. So, I'm looking for good sound for a small room. The set up is approx;

__________________________________________________ __
    Plasma (centered)

9FT wall length

Chair Couch (15ft wall) Chair (all centered)
    __________________________________________________ ____

Setting the room up lengthwise is not an option.

So I have an approx 9ft throw from the speakers to seating area. Other caveats. I live in top floor condo, so rocking bass isn't an issue. I need accurate highs and a strong midrange.

I will be upgrading receiver post speakers.

Currently I will be using a 5.1 capable Yamaha Receiver (to be gone soon). I have a sony self-powered sub.

Am looking at the JBL NSP 1s, and Klipsch Quintets. Obviously, I want small and unobtrustive, wall mount. If possible, I want a center channel which is also wall mountable.

Looking for 2 front/center/ 2 rear (though figure shortness of area will make to rear speakers a curious endeavor)

From what I have gleaned from the pages here... my preference for good midrange are probably better served by the JBL NSP1s.

Any other thoughts? I want to stay in the sub $500 category, but w/ good sound. Not afraid of going non-package and buying front's center etc, separate, but all must be wall mount and not very deep.

Have searched... and gleaned good info, but would like to open the floor to suggestions.

2. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

hey give me back my plasma, i told you could borrow it.......

3. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

I would highly recommend the Take 5+1' if your looking for a full system with sub, or the take 5.2's if you want just 5 perfectly matched speakers. I have been really impressed with the sound as has everyone thats come over to here them. I've had no issue with them lacking midrange, I'm sure they may sound worse in a larger room but I'm running the 5+1's in an 18wx18dx8h living room and they sound great.

4. Ryan Rhino

Ryan Rhino Auditioning

btt

5. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

I'd go with the NSP1, combined with the Parts Express DLS10 sub. I don't know what the NSP1 is going for these days, but the DLS10 is just $99, and it's been getting rave reviews on this forum in terms of price:performance ratio. I'd hurry though, since they tend to fly out the door.

Conversely, you could sell the plasma, get a decent $1500-2000 front projector and a $100 screen, and up your audio budget to give you more freedom of choice, or by your SO something special for Friday [​IMG] .

6. Ryan Rhino

Ryan Rhino Auditioning

Thanks... I have a powered sony sub that will be used for now. My real focus will be buying this set now (the internals in the philips plasma are terrible) coupled w/ the older components. I'll need to upgrade my DVD player and receiver and then start in on better speakers in about a year.