What's new

Small room. PSB Image S10 vs Axiom QS8? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
5.1 system. I have a small room and my PSB 2B surrounds and they sound kinda "un-spacious" for lack of a better word. I will play with placement, but the seating area is a futon in my room and its up against the back wall. I wonder if bipole surrounds would help make things sound a little more spacious?

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Dimensions, please? Carpeted or hard floors? Irregular shape?

Also would be nice to know the receiver and any other pertinent information. Thanks!

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Dimensions, please? Carpeted or hard floors? Irregular shape?

Also would be nice to know the receiver and any other pertinent information. Thanks!

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
14.5 long x 12 feet wide x 7.5 feet high. Ceiling tiles. Two concrete walls with some insulation underneath and panels on top. Other two walls are panel walls with no drywall. The seating area is a futon right up against the back wall, which is a non-drywall panel wall. The problem is that the surround speakers are about 1 foot away from the back wall, so they don't sound very spacious. I thought multi-directional speakers would make things sound a little better.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Re-visiting the surrounds question so rather than re-posting this in another thread, I'll revive this one. Review:

Right now I have my "home theatre" in a small room of approx 12 x 14.5 feet.

PSB Image 2B's as my rear surround speakers (5.1).
Front PSB Image 6T's and a 9C centre.
Marantz SR 8000 5.1 receiver.

I am thinking of getting some surround speakers that add a bit more spaciousness to the surround sound. While I am in this smaller room I figure I would like the surround effect to sound a little larger. I know I won't get too much more spacious effect because the room is small and there are limitations to what speakers can do, since the sound is bouncing off the walls anyways, but anything is better than nothing and later I may have a larger room to work with. I think I could play with the distance settings in my receiver too (perhaps set them as though they are closer than they really are, to add some delay?).

So for Left and Right surround speakers, which of the PSB Image S10 (now the S50) Bipolar surround speakers, or the Axiom QS8 surround speakers would be best. The differences are that the PSB may reach slightly lower low frequencies than the Axiom speakers, since the PSB's I suspect have larger cabinets vs the Axioms. They are both similar in efficiency and power handling and both are 6 ohms.

If anybody here has compared these surround speakers, please let me know what you think. I am looking for surround speakers which give me a larger, more spacious surround sound effect. Which ones did you prefer and why?

thanx in advance for any feedback,

:)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
In a small room like that with shoebox dimensions, direct speakers for the rears don’t work well because you’re so close to them. There isn’t enough distance for the sound to spread, so it makes them too easily localized – hence the lack of spaciousness you’ve been experiencing. In your situation bi-polars should work much better

I’d vote for the S50s, since your other speakers are PSB. Personally I prefer the seamless integration that only comes with speakers from the same manufacturer.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
While I agree that speakers from the same manufacturer do sound good in a system in terms of integrating etc, I must admit I am biased because I have had an offer for a pair of QS8's. The thing is, I have heard the QS8's in a surround system, but I have not heard the S50's. Ideally, I would love to take the internals of a pair of S10's and the larger midwoofer drivers from a pairs of 2B's and design a bipolar surround in the design shape of the QS8.

I cannot seem to find any S10's around. Perhaps if I find a pair I'll look into it, but I may try the QS8's first anyways.

rob-h

Second Unit
The qs8's are the best surround speakers I have ever heard. I dont think the surround speakers need to match the fronts.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Can anybody give me an idea of what a 2 year old used pair is worth?

I can get them for $600 CDN + taxes brand new or $540 + taxes factory seconds. I am looking at a used pair for about $355 -ish CDN. They are accoustically fine but have a small mark. Is $355 CDN a good price?

thanx

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Well, I can give you a few of the “rules of thumb” I go by when buying used hi-fi gear.

Typically, anything used is worth at best only 1/2 its original street price (as opposed to MSRP). A few exceptions towards prices higher than that would be items that are still current models and items that, although discontinued, are still in high demand. Items that are in premium condition should rightfully command higher prices then their well-used counterparts.

Exceptions for lower than 1/2 prices are old technology (like Dolby Digital receivers, cassette decks).

That said, going only by the information you’ve given us, $600 new or $540 for factory seconds, $355 for the used pair seems reasonable, especially if they are in as good a condition as the seller states.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I bought em. They are on their way, but likely hit the snow storm and the Christmas shipping season!

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
...update, they arrived today, on a Sunday! Wow. Almost feel guilty somebody is driving around in a Canada Post truck on a Sunday. Hooked em up and had a listen. I admit they may have a different sound character than the rest of my PSB speakers, but I have to place them now before I give them a full surround sound movie test.

Robert*S

Stunt Coordinator
Chris PC -
Please keep us posted about the QS8's. I have the same problem you do with a lack of "spaciousness". I have monopoles (JBL N24's as surrounds).
I have been researching almost the same speakers, PSB Alpha S vs. Axiom QS4. I am leaning towards the axioms just because I can't seem to find a bad review of these speakers and supposedly they really open up the soundstage. Once you get everything dialed in, please post your opinions. Thanks.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
When you hear the QS4 or QS8 you are instantly aware that they are spacious. I will report back after watching a movie with the QS8's.

P.S. My PSB Image 2B's are now for sale of course. See the hardware for sale forum :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks