What's new

Small room-Pioneer vsx1015tx-k overkill? (1 Viewer)

MikeNo

Auditioning
Newbie Converting 10ft w X 12ft l X 7ft h to HT.

I have read the thread regarding things people would do differently...great help and priceless advice! thanks.

Am i wasting money if i buy the Pioneer VSX1015tx-k??
I like this receiver because it has THX Select 2 among other features.
I do not know if i will need it (THX), but i would rather have too much than too little. I can buy it new for $377 out the door.
Plan on using bipole/dipole for sides and rears.
Your opinions and advice please.

rob-h

Second Unit
From what people are saying about its lack of power for big rooms, I wouild say that it fits your needs perfectly. And it's a very cheap unit so you are not wasting any money.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Having a 1014K in a large room with average sensitivity speakers (and 4ohm mains) I can say there's plenty of power there. I think the volume scale misleads some people in the available power. It's different than prior pioneer models and isn't linear (going from -30 to -20 gives about the same volume change as going from -20 to -15).

That said, I would pick a receiver in line with your speaker choice, not based on a smaller room size. What speakers are you using? Also smaller rooms can offer some accoustics problems which the 1015TX's auto calibration/eq will help tame if they're present.

Victor Ferguson

Stunt Coordinator
I have had the 1014 in a 20x22 room and it didnt have enough juice but I think it would work ok in your room.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I have put 1015s' in 3 of my friends rooms. From big to small, with Paradigms and B&W's, and never found it lacking.
It DOES have auto EQ. It's called MCACC and if you look in the menu after you run it, it will show you the frequencies it has adjusted.

I think you will be fine with it. THX Select 2 means that it has been benched to output reference level in a 2,000sq ft. room. I think for $377.. you'd be hard pressed to beat it.

Steve_L

Stunt Coordinator
The great thing about the Pioneer VSX-1015TX-K is that you are getting the industry leading home theater speaker equalization MCACC, all of the latest and greatest Digital Signal Processors, an excellent pre-amp/amp, and excellent component switching capabilities.

You don't get some of the very top end features, but a pretty good set.

You get all this for very reasonable money. This receiver is the lower cost consumer equivalent of the Pioneer Elite 52X that cost $1K.

The noise about lack of power surprises me. I've got mine driving a Klipsch F-3 5.1 surround system in a 13X23 foot room I can shake walls. The Klipsch are efficient, but still, this receiver has plenty of power.. and besides, that is the least of your issues.

I'd suggest you can get away with less if your budget is an issue, but if you spend less you won't get all the other goodies, like lot's of switching and DSP modes, that the 1015 gives you.

You'll have a great heart for whatever your HT system evolves to.

MikeNo

Auditioning
You guys convinced me. Thanks for your input! I will order that Pioneer asap.
Stephen, I have not selected speakers yet. Any suggestions are welcome. I have read that bipole/dipole speakers are suggested for the 4 surrounds in a small room. $100 a piece is the limit.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
So $700 for the speakers? How about a sub? $700 (including or excluding sub) sounds like a pretty good balance when matched w/ a receiver in the price range of the 1015TX. Depending on how your room is laid out 5.1 might be as good or even better than 7.1, especially if the back surrounds are going to be directly behind/above your head within a few feet. 5.1 would also let you use the same budget for better speakers and increase the sound quality more than 7 lower quality speakers. For $700 you could get JBL E50 mains, EC35 center, E10 surrounds, and a Dayton 12" sub. This would be a great small room setup and also give you a solid line with many choices to let you expand later if you move into a larger room. That's just an example of one possible setup and you need to get out and listen to see what you like. $700 for just speakers (not including sub) you could get you 4 E50s and an EC35, 5 ascend HT-200s, or you could almost afford Swans 2.1 mains, C2 center, and R2 surrounds. There are lots of great options out there... knowing your total speaker/sub budget would help a little bit more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks