What's new

Small room: Diva and SVS opinions wanted (1 Viewer)

Michael Merrell

Stunt Coordinator
In July, I'm planning on upgrading my HT audio system. The room I use is relatively small (10x13x8), and my seating is against the wall, so I'm not quite sure what my options are in several areas.
Here are a few pics to help visualize the space:
Link Removed
1) 6.1/7.1, or can I get decent results with rear center channels with the seating against the back wall, or should I just stick with 5.1?
2) How much bass do I need? With ~ 1100 cubic feet, I imagine that I don't need dual subs, but I'm not sure how much I lose to adjacent rooms. As things stand now, I'm considering the SVS CS+ 1646 with the Samson 1000 amp (I've heard a dual set in action). I guess if one didn't do the trick, I could add a second onto the same amp.
Speakers... I'm considering Divas, right now. I feel myself being swept along with the tide.
3) In a space this size, and with a decent sub, are 6.1s appropriate for mains, or would 5.1s be better? As I understand it, the 5.1 and C3 use the same driver. Would this provide a better match across the front?
4) For the surrounds, with my ears only 6 inches from the back wall, I am assuming that 2.1s mounted as direct radiators about 6 inches forward of the back wall, and a bit above my [seated] head would get me the best results. The R3s wouldn't work well that close to the rear wall, right?
5) Rear centers: well, perhaps I should worry about these after I get question #1 answered.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
--Mike

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
You are right on track with most of your design theory. I just wanted to address the question you have regarding the 6.1/5.1 question since I have the 6.1's. I have run the Avia pink noise sweeps across the front several times, and you can detect a very slight difference in timbre between the 6.1's and C3. That said, there is no way in a real world application you could notice it even if you listen carefully, cause I've tried. For all practical purposes, they are seamless. If cost is not a factor, I would choose the 6.1's any day just for the flexibility they give you.

Good Luck,

Russ

David Scott

Stunt Coordinator
First of all, I own the Diva 6.1's, 2.1's, C3 and R3's in a 7.1 set-up. I also have dual SVS 20-39cs subs. SVS and the Divas go together very well. For as small a room as the pictures indicate I'd suggest considering a package with the 4.1's, especially if you're going with an SVS sub for the low stuff. You may want to play around with sub placement, from your pictures anywhere but the front right corner should be fine. IMHO you'd have to go with 2.1's for the surrounds, doesn't look like there's enough room for the R3's. You could always buy one sub and add a second later if you want more bass...good luck,

Dave Scott

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
I think it would be very difficult and unnecessary for you to go for a 7.1 speaker system or even 6.1. In a larger room, I would say go for it, but not in this case. In this case, I would put a pair of 2.1s in the rear and mount them on stands or wall mounts. Obviously, you'll want the C3 for the center channel, but the matter of picking the right speakers for the front mains is a little trickier. I think the 6.1s may be a little too big for your room. The 5.1s would probably work, but the 4.1s I know would sound great. Plus, if you get the 4.1s and a C3 speaker now, you can get the 2.1s for free.
Also, I agree that a room this size only requires one good sub. Quite frankly, I think you could pick up any SV Subwoofer you like and be happy with the results. Just be sure to read Link Removed to find out the different sound characteristics of the three sizes.
For what it's worth, I have the Diva 4.1 package (with the 2.1s as my surrounds and the C3 center channel) paired with an SVS 16-46PC (with the new and improved driver). Does it sound good? Oh hell yes. It is a wonderful sounding system. I'm certain you will enjoy your purchase a great deal.
Good luck and happy listening!

Michael Merrell

Stunt Coordinator
This is the second reference I've seen to getting the 2.1s thrown in for free. [edit: Ah! Found the Winter sale link...to a Summer sale ad...that advertises Falling prices. But it's Spring!] I'm really not planning on making my upgrade for several months, but if it will save me a $399...

The reason I've homed in on the 1646 is that, in the small space, I don't think I need the volume at the high end as much as I'd like that molar vibrating low.

The 4.1, C3, 2.1 and 16-46CS+/S1000 mix seems like a good choice, and for less than I was expecting (for once!).

Keep the opinions coming, though, the discussion is still young.

Thanks again,

--Mike

SkiingNinja

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Ries
Just as another opinion, I agree with what they all said...
The 6.1's would be the ultimate, but I think they *may* be too big for that room...It sure does look like you are crammed up into that TV from the pics. The 4.1's would probably look more elegant in that space.
Either way, the 2.1's would be best for the rears.
I also give a :emoji_thumbsup: to the SVS!
Sean

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
I would agree with the others that the 6.1's are probley going to be lets say a bit much. Take a look at their dimensions and imagen them in place. They are much larger than they seem.
I would also consider from your room size given & shown (pic's are worth a thousands words) that the 4.1 package is perfect for your situation! Much more balanced with $ saveings to boot. Bass by 1~1646-SVS corner loaded (front or rear opsite side of room opening) should be more than enough in your smallish room with natural gain factored in. You might want to inquire with SVS Tom and Ron if the 1646 might be the best choice given your room layout & volume. But some HTF members are much more bass hungry than others. :)
As Jeffrey F. can attest to, those Divas are visualy & sonicly stunning. I doubt you would have any disapointments with the 4.1 & SVS package and would/shoud provide a better look, balance, and feel to YOUR room. I think the 6.1's or even the 5.1's might be a bit much size wise given your room constraints along with the nice 4.1 package deal dollar saveings.
------->
You didn't mention if you might move to a (larger room) in the future, if so than the 5.1 or 6.1 definitly should be a consideration.
------->
I too am strugging with just such options currently. (Divas, and what size or package, errrgggg) and possible SVS to replace DIY sealed subs, though in a much larger room.
Good luck
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks