Small room 5.1 system suggestions?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by BrianWH, Jan 15, 2004.

1. BrianWH

BrianWH Agent

Jan 13, 2004
    Actually, the room is quite large, but also very narrow (approx. 11x30), with the TV on the short wall, listening position in the middle of the room (12' away) facing the TV and surround wiring running in-wall to about 20' away on long side walls. Assume I cannot move the furniture or surround wiring:

How would this system perform?

Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR501 ($183)
    Front and Surrounds: Boston Acoustics CR-55 ($100/pair)
    Center: Boston Acoustics CR1 or CR2 or CRC ($100-150)
    Subwoofer: ???

Not sure about the Sub. Open to suggestions given the speakers mentioned. As you might have noticed, I'm on a budget but I realize the sub is going to be the most expensive component. Let's say $250-400 range.

I still haven't bought anything yet, so I'm open to alternative suggestions. I'm a big BA fan.

Thanks for the help!
  2. John S

John S Producer

Nov 4, 2003
    And I'm a new big fan of the Onkyo SR501...
    Should be a great combo for you...

On the Sub:

If you can go an extra $100 you can get into a Velodyne CHT-15. Many assert that SVS subs of the same cost can perform better. I just personally still have never gotten to audition an SVS sub, so I still say the CHT-15 is the best under $500 sub period.

On the Onkyo, I think your right at the room size limit, the SR501 could be sufficient for. (assume'n you want to acheieve at leats close to theater type volume levels) The SR601 would of course be a safer bet on power, but I think you will be fine with the SR501 myself.