What's new

Small Problem with XP (1 Viewer)

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
I just reinstalled XP into my computer, and although I'm happy overall, I found a few quirks that are annoying me...

First off, Outlook & Win Messenger are in it, and there seems to be no way to delete them. I checked in the Add/Remove section of the Control Panel, as well as their individual folders, and saw no install/uninstall options. Is there anyway I can fully delete these programs?

The other problem I'm having is when the Ctrl Alt Del menu doesn't have a toolbar. I can see what tasks are running, but that's it, I can't go to the processes or CPU Usage or User sections without using the Tab button. Is there a setting I can use to fix this?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
You need to make windows messenger visible.

Make all files viewable...file types, make system files visible.

Goto Windows---inf----sysoc.... look for a file that says something like "msmger" it will have a ",HIDE,7" extension.

Simply remove one comma and the hide...save and exit.

Goto "add remove windows components" is should now be visible.

Same goes for removing the "hide" extension in the sysoc file.

Brent

FrankT

Stunt Coordinator
The easiest way to show all the info when you hit ctl-alt-del is to double click on the top grey bar of the window. Not in the white area but above that.

As for Outlook and Messager I think you are stuck with them. You may be able to hide them but I am pretty sure you cannot delete them.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Brent & Frank,
Thanks for the quick replies. After I posted this question, I thought about going into "add/remove windows components." In there, you can simply remove them from the start menu. I guess you can hide them, but removal is not an option. Messenger just pissed me off because I took it off the startup, then it came back on for some reason a day later.
And thanks for the double clicking tip too, it worked. :)

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Just for fun, try doing what I said. This may help you in the future, plus you can show off to friends ... I did:)
Brent
There are about 8 entries with a HIDE option on them!
Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,,7
AccessUtil=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,accessor.inf,,7
CommApps=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,communic.inf,HIDE,7
MultiM=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,multimed.inf,HIDE,7
AccessOpt=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,optional.inf,HIDE,7
Pinball=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,pinball.inf,HIDE,7
MSWordPad=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,wordpad.inf,HIDE,7
ZoneGames=zoneoc.dll,ZoneSetupProc,igames.inf,,7
I don't see and MSN messenger:)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
brent's right. i did the same thing and was able to uninstall it. but then i did something stupid (i think i signed up for .net passport) and it came back. now i can't get rid of it again, but i haven't really tried.

i finally just said fuggit...

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I just unchecked the option in messanger not to load on startup. It still appears if I sign into Hotmail, but it goes away as soon as I close the Hotmail window.

I can live with that.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
plus you can show off to friends ... I did
Brent,
I wish any one of my friends shared similar enjoyment in HT or PC as much as me... If I mention that I improved my PC speed by 20% or how I just got a new DVD player, they'd wonder why I wasn't out drinking instead. I'm no expert on computers or HT, but I know the stuff I do mention bores them to death, which is fine with me. (At least I know how to annoy them) :)
Thanks for the info though.. my sysoc was actually already preset to the stuff you listed above. Since I have been reinstalling everything from scratch, I am taking it as a personal duty of mine to make sure everything runs the way I want it to.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Hey I know your pain. I just bought a Volcano 7+($38:)) and showed to a couple very close friends today. They just laughed whil I thought it was cool:)
Damn I guess I am slowly turning into a computer geek ... oh well:D
Brent
Same with me, I just reformatted and reinstalled XP(done every 6months), I'm just trying to get it perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks