Small problem of storing DVDs, help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith_R, Sep 23, 2001.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I have a problem with the shelves I store my DVD collection on, they are not real sturdy and the whole shelf unit has fallen over on me now twice, I woke up today to find it all had fallen over again. I was wondering what do you guys do to store your DVDs? my collection is quite small in comparison to the 200 DVDs that some of you own. I own 25 DVDs but I need some recommendations as to something that can hold at least 100. Any ideas? What does everyone here use to store their DVDs? thanks.
    ------------------
    -Keith-
    [Edited last by Keith_R on September 23, 2001 at 12:06 PM]

2. Matt Wooten

Matt Wooten Second Unit

well mostly i use my bookshelves to store my dvds.. but i do alot of times just store them on the side of my big screen. i just stack the things. you could always go to a local best buy or sumthing like that and by a dvd rack. they can hold quite a few.
    ------------------
    "Ain't nuthin but a G Thang Baby"

3. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I ran into this problem when my collection hit 200 discs (now at 339 and counting). I had two shelves on my wall that I filled... and then I was just stacking them until I could figure something else out that was CHEAP.
    Lo and behold, I was in Wal-Mart and saw a $30 wooden shelf unit that holds 240 DVD's. Construction was easy, since it's a tool-less design, and the unit is actually amazingly sturdy. It's black and looks fairly snazzy... so you might look at one of those.

4. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

i use the Billy bookcases from IKEA and they work very well. the shelves are adjustable and as you add more dvd's, you can add additional shelves into the bookcase to make more room.

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

6. Mike Russell

Mike Russell Agent

Boltz usa makes some great racks for DVD's etc. They are a little on the pricey side, but are made of steel (can't get much stronger than that). I have 180 DVD's and 150 CD's sitting on the thing and it is holding up like a champ. They come with feet for free standing and wall mounts for permanent attachment.
    http://www.boltzusa.com/mm/252.html
    -MR
    ------------------
    Be as gentle with the faults of others as you are with your own - Egg Shen.

7. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I would like to add that right now I'm using one of the wooden racks that was built for VHS and CD but I'm using it for my DVDs. I thought it worked good for my VHS days but I've not been impressed by it's work of holding DVDs, it fell over twice in the last week. Luckily my DVDs weren't hurt when the thing fell over [​IMG]
    ------------------
    -Keith-

8. Haywood

Haywood Stunt Coordinator

Keith I use one of those CD Books. I think the one I have now holds about 100-120 discs. I just put the cases in my closet and keep the discs in the CD book. This works good for me and it takes up almost no space. Check it out
    Later Haywood [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Wood's Home Theater

9. Ricky f

Ricky f Supporting Actor

I just use a normal book shelf, It holds my normal DVD's and my LE tins.
    Regards,
    Ricky
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    www.petitiononline.com/UncutDVD
    Thank you WILL K for the banner

10. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

11. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

My cheap ass wooden rack I got from Wal-Mart broke for the last time about a month ago. Lucky for me I happened to go to Spokane (only big city by me) a couple days ago and at Best Buy they had a sweet DVD rack. I cant remember the brand name but it was $80 and it holds around 160 DVDs. I only have about 80 so its perfect for me. It has wood sides and feet, but the bars between the sides (where the DVDs acutaly sit) are metal rods. It is very sturdy. Whatever you do don't put your DVDs in a cd binder and put the boxes in the closet, You'd be missing out on all the cool factor when people see your collection even if its small. [​IMG]
    Later,
    Marshall

12. Dre Witt

Dre Witt Extra

I'm using three Caselogic fake leather CD/DVD binders that hold 208 DVDs in each (Cost me $30 bucks each.) I used DVD Profiler to catalog, then print out a nifty report with scans of all their inserts. I have almost 600 DVDs at the moment, and all those cases in bookshelves was looking a little obscene. This way I can keep buying binders as my collection grows and they take up all that space.