1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Small Prob w/ HK 520, any ideas?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Szott, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Hi Folks,

Really been enjoying my new HK 520, but having an odd reoccuring problem. Let me paint the system setup first:

* HK 520
    * 4 JBL S36 speakers, 1 JBL Sii center, 1 Sony sw40 sub (5.1 setup)
    * DISH 500 receiver (model?)

Here's the problem: when watching satellite TV, the back speakers are very weak compared to the front. Every once in a while, they will 'click in' and suddenly it is a very rich surround sound (I use Logic 7 always for TV viewing) that comes from all directions. Then it will just 'click off' again and the rear speakers are totally weak compared to the front three. They still deliver sound (I can walk back there and they are working), it is just much weaker than the front signals. This happens once or twice a night for no reason I can tell (no channel changes, receiver changes, or anything else.) It just 'clicks on' the surround in the middle of the program we are watching.

I have properly set the levels on all the speakers, so that shouldn't be a problem here. I also have checked the physical connection of the speaker wire and it is all OK. Watching DVDs or other sources in 5.1 surround has no problems, just 2 ch signal from satellite TV has this rear speaker problem.

Any ideas or tips on what I should check? Anybody else run into this problem in their setup?

2. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Joe- I wouldn't expect the problem to be with the HK since all other sources are fine. I think I'd call the satalite provider and lodge a complaint. If the problem is with their equipment, they should be aware and maybe provide you with an explaination and also what they are doing to fix it. If it is their problem, the problem should be universal to subscribers in your area. The best you can hope for is an honest answer.

3. ErichH

ErichH Screenwriter

When your sat reciever winks, the reciever has to sense the format all over again, and may think it's 2 channel stereo or whatever. My sat reciever winks a lot(temp loss of signal or DTV running their checks?)

Eric