What's new

small preamp for sub already attached to AV receiver? (1 Viewer)

MikWRX

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Hi,
a friend gave me this small 0-15db preamp to boost my sb-1000 subwoofer but it is already connected to the yamaha av receiver (rxv-681). Would this do anything at all and how do I even connect it to the sub? thanks

Attachments

• preamp.jpg
    preamp.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 7

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I wouldn't think something like that would likely be all that good/useful for your SVS(?) SB-1000 sub -- boosting the line level signal won't likely improve on the fact it will still be limited by its own amp and driver.

IF anything, unless your prepro/AVR's sub output signal is for some strange reason too low, something like that might even introduce its own additional, undesirable artifacts into the signal path instead of helping in any meaningful way...

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hi,
a friend gave me this small 0-15db preamp to boost my sb-1000 subwoofer but it is already connected to the yamaha av receiver (rxv-681). Would this do anything at all and how do I even connect it to the sub? thanks
That's just a line level amplifier. There is zero need or use for it with your subwoofer, and it can only degrade the sound. It will not increase the power or performance of the sub at all. There is no reason to use it.

MikWRX

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
That's just a line level amplifier. There is zero need or use for it with your subwoofer, and it can only degrade the sound. It will not increase the power or performance of the sub at all. There is no reason to use it.
Thanks, stupid question but what does a line-level amp actually do/what is it used for?

Thanks

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thanks, stupid question but what does a line-level amp actually do/what is it used for?

Thanks
Off the top of my head, I can't come up with many uses. One would be for long cable runs, where you might want to amplify it at one end and attenuate it at the other to supress noise that's introduced in the run. Sometimes a component might have low output, that needs to be amplified.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yeah, not a lot of reasons for something like this.

Another might be if you just have one playback source (that has its own volume control and whatever needed processing that's otherwise usually handled by prepro/AVR) that doesn't have strong enough signal to directly drive your particular amp+speakers (or maybe hard-to-drive headphones?) quite that well. That's probably more likely than most other uses me thinks... as some budget-minded, entry-level audiophiles might try to go the minimalist-ish route this way and (temporarily?) try/use something like this for a single-source (likely stereo) rig... although I don't imagine this particular nameless(?) line level amp would be considered audiophile-quality enough though...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlexisMori
Recent bookmarks