Small portable radio with a built-in speaker

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Does anybody actually sell a walkman sized portable radio (AM/FM) with a built in speaker, perhaps a headphone output but mostly interested in a built-in speaker. Thought it would be cool to bike commute with a little radio in my panniers... Can't do headphnones cause I need to hear cars and stuff but on the backroads, I think some music or something would be fun and safe......

Alternatively, if one could get the smallest speakers with a miniplug, that might also work but the built-in speaker would be the best idea, the fidelity be dammed cause I'm outside anyway...

Jay

2. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Yah dude,

For Chrsitmas my sister bought my brother a $9 walkman radio from Walmart.

Guess what?

It has an internal speaker.

Nathan

3. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Why don't you try to get one of those radios that attaches to to your handebars and has a built in light and horn.[​IMG]
    I think they have one that looks ike Pikacu[​IMG]
    Brent
    I have a no name(Rawlings) AM/FM radio with 1/8th" headphone input.

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Back in my biking days.. (20 years ago) I was on a ride across Iowa (yes, Iowa) and there was a guy on the trip that had rigged up a car stereo to his bike and had two speakers mounted on his handlebars. I would say the boxes were probably 6" tall, so, they were pretty big for a bike. He powered the whole thing off battery.. I think it was a motorcycle battery on his blackburn rack in the back. It sounded pretty nice. Except the guy only wore a leather thong when he rode, so, you didn't want to spend too much time riding with him.

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Hey Dave, Hmmm, don't think I'm going for the "weird category" seems like it would be easy to use a regular walkman with those computer speakers with the miniplugs on them. Although 20 years ago, probably wasn't as common as today. BTW, was this ride RAGBRAI-(register's annual great big ride across iowa)?

And noway I would be caught in a thong on my bike, that is just plain weird!!! :b

I'm going to have to check out the nearest Target (no walmart near me), $9 sounds almost disposable!

Jay

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Well, just came back from Target and didn't see any walkman sized radios with a built in speaker... I did see another idea that might work, those cheap shower radios, they're water resistant/proof and have a speaker and run on batteries, however they are a little bigger than I'd like so I thought I'd keep looking...

Not a complete lost, I picked up some cheap granola bars and contact solution, as well as a birthday card and a Tori Amos CD..

Jay

7. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

Dave sez...

8. Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson Stunt Coordinator