Small or Large Speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Teddy Dako, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Teddy Dako

Teddy Dako Auditioning

Hi,
    I just bought an Onkyo 595 and Mordaunt Short speakers. 906 for front left and right, 905 for the center and 902 for the rears.
    Now in the speaker setup of the Onkyo, I can choose small or large for the speakers. I chose large for the fronts and center but I'm not sure what to choose for the rears. What does Onkyo mean by small or large? Is it the size or the frequency response? Compared to the 906, the 902 are small. As far as size are concerned. The Freq. response is not that much difference. But compared to some other surrounds, the 902s are big.
    Maybe someone has a similar setup and can help me out here.
    thanks a lot
    Teddy

2. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

Teddy, are you using a sub with your set up?

3. David X

David X Stunt Coordinator

'small' and 'large' refer to the frequencies more than the size of the speakers, though bass handling is usually relative to the size of the woofers in a speaker, hence the terms 'small' and 'large'.

Do you have a subwoofer in this system?

If you set any of the speakers to small, the 595 will direct everything below 100Hz to the sub, if you have the sub turned on in the configuration menus. In general, even if you have 'large' speakers, you would usually set all the speakers to small anyways and let the sub handle all the bass, even if your speakers are capable of going much lower than 100Hz. (Some people debate this for music, but we'll leave that to other threads.)

If you don't have a sub in the system and configure the 595 properly to tell it there is no subwoofer, and you set the rears to small, the 595 should redirect frequencies less than 100Hz from the rears to the mains. If you don't have a subwoofer and the rears can handle bass as well as the mains, then just leave everything set as 'large'. Same for the center.

I have a 595 in my bedroom with small axiom speakers (MT1i's, VP50, Mzeros) and a sony 12" sub. I have all the speakers set to small.

My main system has much more capable speakers, but with a rated frequency response down to only 60Hz +-3db, so I also have all of them set to small and let my subwoofer handle all the bass.

-David

4. Teddy Dako

Teddy Dako Auditioning

Hi guys,
    thanks for the quick replies. I do have a sub also from MS, I think it's the 304. I have the cutoff freq. on the sub set to just above the 50khz. There are no real indicators on the sub so I think it's somewhere like 60 or 70khz.
    I guess I'd have to find out what the freq. response is for the rears.
    thanks,
    Teddy

5. David X

David X Stunt Coordinator

If you have a sub and you're using the dedicated subwoofer output on the receiver (via a coax cable with rca connectors) then the receiver is doing all the bass management. In this case, you should set the sub's x-over to the max frequency position to get it completely out of the way. You don't want the sub doing any bass management in this configuration.

-David