Small, musical, cheap sub

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Matt Bedell, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Matt Bedell

Matt Bedell Extra

I'm building a new speaker system for my computer. After being disappointed with Logitech's Z-680s for their hissing and awfully boomy bass, I decided to go with a receiver and "real" speakers. The receiver will be a Denon 1403 and the speakers will either be some refurbed Infinity Entra Point 5's or Entra Ones.

I really don't want to spend more than $150 or so on the sub. I basically want something to fill in where the sats leave off (especially if I go with the point 5 set). I cannot stand boomy bass, but I have nowhere to put the sub other than under my corner desk. Size is important here. Under 13 inches tall if I can help it! I've seen people talk about the AR PR808 and the Dayton sub from PartsExpress. I heard a Velodyne CHT8 at Circuit City and liked it, but it was $300. Is the Velodyne VX10 for $150 in a different league or could I expect similar performance?

I think an 8 inch sub would probably serve my needs fine since I'm not a bass head and I'm on a budget. 90% of my music is pop, rock, electronic and blues. All input welcome. [​IMG]

Wow, the Dayton sub is on sale for $99 today and tomorrow... this is awfully tempting. [​IMG]

2. Heath_E

Heath_E Stunt Coordinator

Go for the Dayton!!!

3. Matt Bedell

Matt Bedell Extra

Since the sale is good until 6pm tomorrow, I'll sleep on it and probably pull the trigger then when I have (hopefully) more input. My only concern other than the possibility of it not fitting well under my desk is that it might be too boomy, being that it's a 10". Then again, I'm pretty new to this...

4. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator

The size of the woofer has nothing to do with how "boomy" the bass sounds. The box alignment is the culprit.

A designer can easily make an 8" woofer sound tremendously boomy, and an 18" woofer sound dry.

5. Matt Bedell

Matt Bedell Extra

Thanks, Jason. I had a feeling this wasn't the case. How about the Dayton, does it boom? I've not seen any frequency response graphs for this sub.

6. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator

There really isnt enough info posted (like the actual driver being used) to be definitive, but I'm guessing it's not a boomy design.

Another factor to consider is how your room's effecting the bass. Most rooms give you a peak around 50 hz.

7. Matt Bedell

Matt Bedell Extra

I'm not exactly sure of the effects of my particular room on sound, but it's is roughly 18x8 with 2 large double doorways on the long walls about 2 feet from the corner. The ceiling slopes from 12-14 feet to 8 ft over the length of the room. It's carpeted but has no "soft" furniture, and there is an anti-static mat directly in front of where the sub would sit.

Are there any others using this sub? I've read a few reviews here and there saying that's its unbeatable for its price, but none of the reviews really talk about the sub itself and its characteristics.

8. JayL

JayL Auditioning

Hey thanks for the heads up on the Dayton sale...I was just looking at it and wishing it was $99 again. Now I have to jump on it.

J

9. larry mac

larry mac Stunt Coordinator

Just added the Velodyne VX10 to my bedroom system and am happy with it. It was $150 w/free shipping from J&R. Problem-free order; took about 5 working days from NY to TX.

I am not knowledgeable enough about subs to feel qualified or articulate enough to properly evaluate this sub. However, I will make some observations/ comments.

The VX10 is not a "square box" type sub. It's 12"W x 16"D X 15"H. That gives it a fairly small, long look. It's also a dark gray rather than black. The grill has a slight concave to the bottom. I'd say the sub looks kinda contemporary rather than traditional. The shape does make for a smaller profile, enabling one to hide it easier perhaps.

There is a huge rear port. This thing moves alot of air. I was amazed at how much the long-throw woofer moves on this baby. My other sub ($99 10" KLH) doesn't move hardly at all. I almost feel like I'm hurting it or something. Can it operate like this routinely for years without wearing out? My main problem is setting it up so as not to overpower the small room. Placement of a sub in a bedroom is a bitch. There's furniture or doors in all the corners etc.

A couple of small complaints. There is no on/off switch. When you unplug it, a light on the back slowly fades away. I don't really feel this is a problem per say, as the only time I turn off a sub is when I'm moving it (almost never). However, I don't see why they omitted one, doesn't seem like it would be a significant cost. More troublesome to me is the arrangement of the gain and frequency controls. They are on the back of course and at the top where they should be, but the gain is the lower one. That is the one I sometimes alter depending on what I'm listening to. The knobs are not marked with a white dot either. No big deal really, I'm just nit-picking.

Wish I could be more specific about the sound qualities. I think it has lots of bass and seems to be pretty musical but frankly I'm still trying to situate it and make the adjustments needed to optimize the bedroom HT. One thing is for sure, it is more than adequate for my needs.

10. Matt Bedell

Matt Bedell Extra

Thanks for the feedback, Larry. I've been a fan of Velodyne stuff ever since I heard one of their drawn aluminum subs in an SQ car audio setup... wow was it nice. Any more Dayton users?

11. Dave_Olds

Dave_Olds Stunt Coordinator

I think you would be crazy to pass on the Dayton....Its a great sub and I was pleased at $129.00....for $99 its highway robbery when you consider what $99 gets you in the stores....

The amount of great feedback from very trusted source such as Brian of Rutledge Audio assures this sub is more than adequate for many purposes

One thing is for sure:
    You can purchase it for $99 and if not happy, quite easily sell it here on this site for that much after auditioning it.

OR

You can use it as the foundation of a second HT within the house when you upgrade later...

I use it as my family room theater and works fantastic and really competes well with the more expensive Velodyne I use in the main theater.

12. Matt Bedell

Matt Bedell Extra

Ok, ok, guys, I'll go with the Dayton. [​IMG] I'd always thought "you get what you pay for" but in this case, I think you get more than you pay for.

13. Matt Bedell

Matt Bedell Extra

My Dayton arrived yesterday, that was quick! It's lighter than I expected, which concerned me, but I hooked it up anyway. I don't have my receiver or speakers yet, but I set it up with patch cables from my computer. I quickly found out that I couldn't put my computer on top of it (vibrations), so I put it under my desk.

WOW, this is incredible! No boomy, muddy sound at all, just lots of strong bass. I really only have "high end" computer speakers to compare this to, so this is a night and day difference, even without it being properly calibrated. At only $99, I feel like I stole it. Thanks to all the recommendations!

14. jonathan_little

jonathan_little Stunt Coordinator

My Sony SA-WM40 has developed problems 3 months after its one year warranty expired. I might decide to get it repaired, but I'm not sure if it's worth the cost (I don't know what's wrong with it yet, plus the 'local' repair center is nearly two hours away.) I've contacted Sony about how disappointed I am with how this speaker and/or amp failed after a light 15 months worth of usage (about 4 hours a week,) but they're not going to help me out.

Anyhow, I was interested in the ~$120 Dayton model as a possible replacement since I can't spend much more than that right now. Can somebody tell me how good the auto on function is? I was reading the manual and it looks like the only power button choices are off or "auto on." The auto on feature of my SA-WM40 was horribly slow so I disabled it. I'm concerned that this Dayton subwoofer apparently doesn't allow the auto on to be disabled and I'd like to hear people's experience with it.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

15. Matt Bedell

Matt Bedell Extra

There is an "On" function. They didn't provide very good documentation. The manual should say Auto/On/Off. I leave mine on all the time.

16. jonathan_little

jonathan_little Stunt Coordinator

Thanks. [​IMG]

17. Andrew O'Brien

Andrew O'Brien Stunt Coordinator

18. Greg-ST

Greg-ST Stunt Coordinator