Small monitor speaker recommendations

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Leo Kerr, May 25, 2005.

1. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

I've got a tiny little office I'm trying to turn into at least a rough surround environment for either checking surround mixes, or perhaps even doing a little surround mixing on my own.

The catch is it's a horrible space for this sort of thing.

The room is roughly 12'W x 9'D x ~8'H, with two doors. Each door has 10" clearance between it and the drop ceiling. One door is on the rear wall, right side, and swings toward the right side wall; the other door is on the left side rear, and swings toward the back wall.

The workstation desk will extend about 4' into the room, and is about 6' wide.

The rear speakers are probably going to have to be practically stuck to the ceiling so that the doors can swing under them, which really limits their size. I was thinking along the lines of something small, mounted toward the rear of each side-wall, pointing at one another

Does anyone have any good recommendations for small speakers that still sound good? We've got a couple of Bose 102s kicking around, but they don't really sound that good, and besides, they're 70v speakers, anyway, and I don't want to get into 70v distribution.

Leo Kerr

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Price range?

It's a drop ceiling, so maybe a cheap in-ceiling speaker w/drop ceiling mounting kit?

3. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

I'd sort of like to stay under, say, $200/ea; preferably closer to $300/pr.

Also, I may not reliably have any space above the drop ceiling. At best, there's a 7" gap between the tile and the slab, but there are also a lot of air ducts, sprinkler pipes, and the like in that space, too.

Leo

4. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Try something like Ascend Acoustics. The 200s are 6.5" wide and a sealed speaker designed for tough installations situations. Ascends are very neutral. You can learn more at the Ascend Forum.

5. John Garcia

John
    Accessories For Less has the NHT SB1 for $300/pr including shipping. Should also fit the bill and sound nice. Also a sealed design, so it should not be a problem mounting directly to the wall. PLUS a 5% bonus discount with coupon code MAY5 (good until the 31st). Go to speakers & stands, bookshelf (sorry, AC4L's site has something that makes their links not work after a while).

6. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Add to your list ... one of the most neutral*** sounding speakers that belies it's price vs. performance, ... the JBL N24AW's (sold in pairs & Wall-mount brackets are included).

[​IMG]

Objectively benchmarked (many claim neutral but S&V confirms JBL MFG. Frequency Specification) by Tom Nousaine ...

N24AW........... 103 Hz to 20 kHz ±3.6 dB**

Notable quote by Nousaine ...
    =====================

Have fun auditioning & shopping,
    Phil

7. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Actually listen to those JBLs against other speakers. They aren't all that. I'm very skeptical of reviews of advertisers' products and JBL as part of Harman Industries is one huge advertising client.

8. John Garcia

John
    The N24s are not bad, but they are definitely not the best $250 speaker I've heard. The nice thing, as Phil notes, is they include the wall mounting bracket. If you could pick up a pair for $74, it would not be a bad deal.

9. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Well, I suppose part of it is, my first reaction was to go with the NHTs, but I really wanted to see what other options were out there. I've never been fond of JBL - although that's mostly been the Control Micro and Mini series..

Harmon Group isn't all bad - or at least, they weren't all bad. I'm rather fond of Allen & Heath mixing consoles..

But I was also wondering; are there any good, small di- or bi-polars out there? In this crampt space, that might not be a terrible thing..

Leo

10. John Garcia

John
    I haven't heard these yet, but they might be worth looking into. The Cinema ADP (bottom) would probably be about the price range (not sure on their price) and size.