What's new

small, low cost speakers? (1 Viewer)

Don D

Grip
Can anyone recommend a pair of small speakers that would work well for TV/DVD and music? Right now I have to have the TV on to listen to music, but I'd rather pipe the sound through my amplifier. But, my bookshelf speakers are not really appropriate for the space where I have everything set up. They're a little too bulky.

I thought about getting a pair of PC audio speakers and hooking them in. I'm not looking for the ultimate sound experience. But I'd like something that is at least equal to my Sony WEGA's speakers, at a minimal cost.

Any recommendations??? Thanks in advance.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What's the price range?
Least expensive, small, decent 5 speaker setup is the JBL NSP-1 for $249 at J&R

Don D

Grip
Ideally, I'd like to spend no more than a hundred bucks but could go beyond that.

A five speaker setup is more than I'd like to have in this room. I really don't need a subwoofer or surround speakers. In fact, what I'm tempted to do is to buy a five speaker system and use the speakers that were intended for surround sound as my main speakers -- discarding the other three.

As a point of reference, I have a $75 JVC boombox that produces sound quality that would be plenty for this room. It's been difficult to find this "quality" of speaker as a standalone item.

Thanks for your help.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
KLH makes a set of twistable 2way speakers that look a little like the bose dual cube lifestyle speakers. They're about 6" tall and 4" wide. I used them as surround speakers with one of my first surround sound setups. They can be had for aruond $30 a pair on ebay. They won't have very low bass extension, but for the size contraints and price range you have in mind, these will fit nicely.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Don, if you really want help, and you live in San Jose, I can almost certainly help find something locally. I have good connections at a number of stores in the South Bay, and I know where to find the deals. E-mail me, and maybe we can get together, or I can at least recommend some places to try.

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
BIC Venturi V52si , 5 1/4 rubber surround long throw woofer , 1/2 poly dome tweeter, magnetically shielded. List price $199.00 pr. I just bought a pair brand new on ebay for $39.00. Top rated by consumer reports for many years . Check the reviews on Link Removed bought mine from a company in CA. HMRLA is their ebay ID . I believe they also have an online store. Sound quality and bass is incredible for the price. Believe me you can't get anywhere near this quality for $39.00.They shipped next day and emailed me tracking #.

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
Hi

and use the speakers that were intended for surround sound as my main speakers
You'll need to be careful if you try this - most surrounds from a package won't be shielded and will cause problems with the TV.

Even a small pair of $50-$70 speakers from Rat Shack, run through your amp will sound much better than TV speakers.

I used some cheap Gennexx? (Optimus) speakers for about 3 years prior to getting into HT and they sounded much better than my TV's speakers. (My brother now uses them through a stereo amp connected to his VCR)

Hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks