Small houses

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jay H, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/houses.htm

They are sooo cool, I could see myself living in one of those cabins in the woods somewhere. Many of them are US road legal so they can fit on a trailer, trucked somewhere and plopped down...

Would need one for me and one for my bikes, kayak and climbing gear!

Jay

2. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Cool! But where do you put the front projector, 6 speakers, rack of HT gear, and 1000 DVDs?

Not to mention 3 dogs?

3. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

Wow! Those are cute and great for a weekend get-away to someplace secluded. I just wonder how the utilities hookup (water/gas/electric). I can imagine putting one of these in my backyard as a "guest room". [​IMG]

- Colton

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    As far as water, I would go by a place with a running stream and use that. Anything powered would be propane, (lights, fridge, stove) and then you don't have to worry about hookups.... but I would try to pitch it in a place where you wouldn't need lights in the daytime (facing south, sunlights in the roof) and then a small fireplace could heat the place in the winter and in a valley where the breeze could cool it so no A/C needed.

Jay

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Nice dog houses

6. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

In NYC those would cost $1.3 million.

I honestly can't imagine paying money for a house the size of a prison cell. They make tents bigger than those. (I did see floorplans for a 750 sqr.ft house, that I could live wth.)

7. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I want one in my back yard! [​IMG]LOL - Yeah, it's basically an outhouse with a kitchen.

8. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

It would be great for camping trips. But actually living in one? No DSL and no HT = NO SALE! [​IMG]

9. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Except the models with no toilet. Then your outhouse needs an outhouse.

10. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    You guys are no fun [​IMG]

One can integrate in-wall speakers and save some floorspace and when you open the window, your house becomes a ported subwoofer! [​IMG]

Seriously, I'm used to living in small spaces, I drive an MR2. I used to live in a studio apartment in college and I actually don't mind, so much less maintenance needed and I find other than gear storage. In fact, the one house that I almost bought before my ranch was a 600sf house on .15 acres which had 2 tiny bedrooms, a small living room/den, a kitchen, bathroom, and a loft.

Jay

11. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

Kind of sounds like my current house, only mine is a ranch so no loft. Sure the neighbors are a bit close, but my sub is bigger so I can drown them out. Plus, cutting and trimming your yard in < 15 minutes......... priceless.

12. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Instead of a small house, how about a thin house? [​IMG]

13. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I would think that somebody would get good exercise in that Thin House if the bathroom is on the top floor and the kitchen was on the first... [​IMG]

Jay

14. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

The New York Times just published an interesting feature article on the Tumbleweed phenomenon. With the skyrocketing cost of energy and the plummeting value of real estate, it's apparently become something of a movement:Home & Garden
    The Next Little Thing?
    By STEVEN KURUTZ
    Published: September 11, 2008
    Tiny houses have been a fringe curiosity for a decade or more, but devotees believe the concept’s time has finally arrived.
    As my means have constricted over the last year (and don't face any immediate prospect of dramatically improving), it's definitely something to think about. Put enough strategically placed natural light in, and it wouldn't feel as confining as the square footage implies.

15. KurtEP

KurtEP Supporting Actor

Reminds me of the Unibomber's house.

16. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Well you could just purchase one of those 600 square foot greenhouses they make.

A real cool one would be to make the walls out of LCD panels. They could pass most light during the day and then go into blackout mode at night for privacy. Sort of an "active Eichler". [​IMG]

17. Dave Hahn

Dave Hahn Second Unit

Dave Hahn
    These "Tumbleweed" cabins would make a great weekend getaway, but, to me, they're way to small as a full time residence. I'd need a storage shed almost as large as the cabin for all my stuff!

I just sold my house in Connecticut, packed my worldly goods into a POD, and am now looking for a "small house/cabin/cottage" in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.

The thing is, you just can't plop one of these things down and move in; unless the lot has already been leveled and improved, you need to make a substancial investment before you even start to think about the house itself. You need to level a spot on the lot for the stucture, and you need some kind of driveway. Water and sewer as well as utilities must be seriously considered. Up here, anything not directly within a town or village needs its own well and state approved septic system, and utilities cost X amount per foot from the street to the structure.

I think a good alternate to these small cabins is, gasp!, a mobile home. I'm thinking of getting what's called a "single-wide," putting it on a permanent foundation, (either full or crawl-space in depth), siding the exterior with log siding, putting on a green metal roof, and living happily ever after in my new "cabin."

Three to four times the space and half the cost of a pre-manufactored cabin.

18. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Ahh, Dave, are you beginning to stockpile food and ammo? [​IMG]

19. Dave Hahn

Dave Hahn Second Unit

Dave Hahn

Not really Dennis, I'm too busy writing my manifesto . . .

20. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron