Small Home Theater System

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Mark Reid, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Mark Reid

Mark Reid Auditioning

Hello There:

This is my first post so forgive my lack of knowlege. I got my dad a Citizen Home theater in a box because he has a hard time hearing the TV. I plugged it all in but i do not understand how to hook it up to his Satelite reciver . There must be a way to do this. It just seams a though there is not enough ports on the back to plug it all in. The ones that are there just have a bunch of letters and numbers next to them that i do not understand. It would be so much easyer if they would put (out to TV) or (From TV) on the outlet. This is a chaper unit. But it does sound good. The Internal DVD player works but if i could get the normal TV to go through it it would be better. As of now it only works on DVD. Is there anyone out there that is good with these smaller units. I could send Pictures if you like.

Mark Reid

2. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Mark -- I think you need to look up and post more information. In particular we need to know equipment model numbers (TV, Sat receiver) and the inputs and outputs available on the TV, Sat receiver and the audio (amp, receiver) unit. If you have them, each component's user manual should have a diagram of the back side with the inputs and outputs, otherwise you'll just need to look and make notes.

As a general guide the most common in/out jacks will be labeled and colored like this:

yellow RCA connector, will say video, that's composite video in or out
    red/white RCA connector pairs, will say left/right, that's stereo audio (in or out)
    small multi-pin connector, should say S-Video or SVHS, that's video (in or out)

There may well be others as well but those are most common.

On the receiver/amp unit various combinations of these will exist and be labeled for various devices that could be connected to it.

At this point all I can say is that we need a video output on the sat receiver connected to the TV--that one must already exist and you probably don't need to change it. And we need to get audio over to the HT system--but that's where more info is needed so we can figure out how to do it. You must already have an audio connection from Sat receiver to the TV and that may or may not change so that you end up with sound routed from the Sat receiver to the HT system (directly or thru the TV) and from the TV to the HT system for the DVD player it contains.

3. John S

John S Producer

I just searched to try to find specifics on the Citizen HTIB and came up empty.

I list of inputs to the HTIB may be helpful.

4. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

John -- yeah, so did I. Without more info there's not much I could think of to suggest.

5. Matt Rohr

Matt Rohr Agent

I could not find anything from Citizen except small radios.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Howzabout this, Mark: Have you read the instructions that came with the unit? I find that a lot of newcomers become freaked at all the inputs and outputs and the different cables needed that they freeze. Yet, there are always instructions to read!