What's new

Small floor standing speaker shootout... (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Robb - My wife and I listened to some country music, and had a drink. After the first disc, we made another drink, and while doing so, my son changed the speakers... and we sipped and listened more. We mostly relaxed. She did somewhat prefer "B", but as it was pretty informal, I did not try to assign points.

Eddie Horton

Stunt Coordinator
Great review, Craig!! I think, as a very happy Ascend owner, that you couldn't go wrong with either system, and you certainly would be hard pressed to find anything close to either for 1 grand at any store.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Eddie, Thanks for the very kind words. I am STILL a very happy Ascend owner. They are a wonderful speaker.

Over the next few days, as time permits, I will do some of those measurements as promised.

I just ran a sweep of the 550's and Ascend/STF-1's to see what they were doing at the listening position. This was a stereo sweep of both speakers, in room, with the microphone literally where I was sitting.

We got +/- 4 dB from 22 to 15,000 hz... and - 8 dB at 20,000 Hz... the Ascend 340 and STF-1 combo showed +/- 4 dB from 28 Hz to 15,000 Hz, down 10 dB at 20,000 Hz. A room WILL attenuate high frequencies, especially 12 feet away from the source and 30 degrees off axis.

This is totally uncorrected, raw data. It is also VERY good performance ... Later I will try the "sensitivity" measurements...

Please keep in mind NO magazine ever measures this way... both these speakers will easily be flat measured anechoically... and this in room performance is extremely good.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Correction... The - 4 dB in bass extension for the STF-1 was 28 Hz, not 33 Hz. I mistakenly thought the vertical bar was 35 Hz, when it was 30 Hz. My apologies for the error.

I will try to post graphs later.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"There are several factors that go into this... (better driver "control" for one)... but these two 6.5's play low and play "fast"... (I know... there is no such thing as "fast bass" --- but the "Rise Times" do tell an importaant story here)..."

Am extremely glad you realize there is no such thing as "fast" bass when it comes to speakers...only accurate loading (good transient response behavior...or quick rise times, if you will) of bass drivers.

Phew! And to think that I almost wrote you off as being just another "high-end speaker designer"!... :D

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
I read a write up on this forum about the Rocket 750's from a guy who has listened to everything under the sun and he thought they were some of the best sounding speakers he has ever heard regardless of price. (Can't remember his name but i think he is a DVD reviewer at this site). After reading his review and now this test/review, I think its safe to say that these rockets and a very respectable line of speakers to say the least. I am also one who prefers a warmer, less bright sound too, so I would guess the 750's would be my ideal speaker. (they are gorgeous too , in that real rosewood finish!)

I am also VERY curious to see how the Swans stack up too. Any word from Jon when you will get a pair to test?

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
I think Jon will have more speakers in stock in September... I am also leaning toward trying the Rosewood variations rather than the Black Cherry... Seeing Swan's woodwork vs. Rocket's would be interesting...

My wife is pretty good at this type of thing...

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Craig,

Thanks again for all you contribute to this community! I look forward to many more reviews from you, and wish you and your bride even more evenings like number 5 (I'm assuming you like country music :))!

-Robb

Jimmy Harmon

Stunt Coordinator

True, but 8 Hz at those levels is at least somewhat significant, and the Hsu is rated more conservatively at +/- 2 dB's while the Rockets follow the more standard +/- 3 db rating.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to make too much out of the bass response. Actually, that is of less importance to me than many of the other qualities since I use a Hsu VTF-3R to augment my 550's bass response. It's just that some of us never expected the 550's (even when placed in a corner) to actually play lower than a quality, corner-loaded, dedicated, and powered 8" woofer (is that enough adjectives?), but the numbers sure confirm Craig's hearing.

I hope no one takes this review as a knock on the Ascends. By all accounts they are exceptional speakers. I know I am still considering getting a pair for my bedroom when I can afford a decent 2 channel or 2.1 channel system in there.

It is nice, however, for us 550 owners to get a little validation from an independent reviewer. Rockets sometimes get the rap of being "just a pretty face". It also makes me more eager to get the MKII XO's for my classic 550's.

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
Yeah Craig, many thanks for your time and efforts in these well written reviews. I am new here but it doesnt take long to see you are a major contributor to this forum! :emoji_thumbsup:

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Craig,
Are you also still getting the axioms.
By the way great reveiws.....
can't wait to hear what you think of the swans as well.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter

With the size of the room I didn't expect anything from an 8" sub. I'd be interested in what Craig's thoughts are w/o it.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Actually, that subwoofer did a very nice job. While listening to both systems, I was amazed at both the bass quality and quantity in our room.

I will be happy to listen to the Ascends without a subwoofer.... though going the opposite would be even better...

Later this year ... A test with the Ascends and the Hsu VTF-3 and the Rocket ELT-CSE and the new UFW-12 ....

dave alan

Second Unit
Another great thread, Craig!

This is great stuff and took a lot of time and effort (especially the drinks and cigar part :cool: ).

Congrats and keep up the great work.

Dave

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Dave - Thanks, with your background as a musician, I am honored. Hey... The Klipschorn thread... we could have some fun outfitting some subwoofers to go with the K-Horns he is looking at...

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Curtis... They both are winners. The Ascends have also found a home here. How Ascend and AV123 can do this for the $1000 price tag is astounding. There is a thread here regarding a pair of AR-9's that are 25 years old.

When they sold new, they were $1200 per pair, and had bass to 30 Hz. That $1200 is about $5500 in today's dollars.

These speakers BOTH do more for $1000 today... or about $225 in 1979 dollars...

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
OK...kids in bed after a day at Legoland....

Totally understood Craig...but you know what I mean. I have heard RS150's and RS750's, didn't care much more them. A couple of people have told me over and over again that I would like RS550's and should give them a listen.

Only thing I would like to read now is if swapping the speakers' positions make any a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks