What's new

Small Faces: _Odgen's Nutgone Flake_ (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I first bought this fascinating LP back in 1969, with its funky round cover.

To this day, it remains a warm and exciting memory—a curious mixture of psychedelic excess and plain cool rock and roll. It's second side is a stunning suite/song cycle narrated between tunes in Old English.

Really cool album.

Anyone here into this disc?

John Watson

Screenwriter
I've not heard of it, but the round cover thing - did a Rod Stewart album do that, I think I still have the cover somewhere, tho the album died a long time ago.

Come to think of it, did Rod come from that group?

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
The Small Faces were originally contemoraries of Rod Stewart. The Small Faces were lead by Steve Marriot, now deceased. Their biggest hit in the US was "Ichygoo Park". When Steve left The Small Faces, they joined up with Rod as Rod Stewart and The Faces, or just The Faces.

As for Ogden's Nut Gone Flake, the vinyl LP cover was fashioned after a cigar box - it was round and thick. This is a great album - "Song For A Baker" is a powderkeg!

This album has had a horrible vinyl history in North America: off-center pressings and out-of-phase mastering come to mind. I'm not sure what is out there on CD, but try for the latest mastering job. At best the album has murky sound; no sense getting a bad mastering job on top of it.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Jack, I had it on vinyl. I don't have it any more. I proably traded it away long ago...? I have seen it on CD in round packaging that's faithful to the original, to some extent. I saw the Small Faces in 1970. We were all expecting Steve Marriot, but he had already left for Humble Pie. We got Rod Stewart and Ron Wood. We didn't hear ITCHYCOO PARK but we did hear a great show. CUT ACCROSS SHORTY made a big impression on me. The Small Faces made one album with Stewart & Wood before they shortened the name to just Faces. I do have a flawless vinyl copy of that album, FIRST STEP. I played it about two weeks ago.
That was my first real rock concert. I had previously seen The Monkees. Small Faces was on the bill with The Grease Band and Savoy Brown was the headliner. Savoy Brown became a real fav too. The Grease Band was rather forgettable... A year or two later I saw Humble Pie but I never got to hear Steve Marriot perform ITCHYCOO PARK. Best wishes!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks