What's new

Small DIY sub (1 Viewer)

Ted_Polzin

Stunt Coordinator
Hi I am looking at building a small sub mainly due to space limitations. I would like something with a foot print of less than 20" if I can. I can go a little higher but not too much so. Was thinking of a PR box with a DPL12 in it but am not sure what else to consider. I will build it in a box rather than tube for WAF.

I have around $700 CDN to spend and if it doesn't include amplification, the only amp I have sitting around has about 150 watts.

Can anyone offer any suggestions.

Thanks

Ted

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
A 20" X 20" X 20" made of 3/4" MDF will yeild a box around 103.8 litres (3.7 cubic feet)... not accounting for bracing or driver displacement.

That'd be a pretty good sized box for most 12" drivers I'd say.

I'm sure others here will pipe up on exactly which drivers to use, but as an example, I have my Shiva mark I in a 85L sealed enclosure with 130 watts and it's plenty for me. But, I'm not a "reference level" kind of guy... I was just looking for a little more extension. The whole thing probably cost me around $300 (US) including veneer and stain.

Ted_Polzin

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah that is what I am thinking. I would love to hear from people as to what drivers would work. What I am thinking is following the adire speck for the DPL12/PR15 in a 18" cube tuned to 18hz. Should cost $189 for the DPL, $123 for the PR and $219 for the amp (360 watts into 4 ohms) from creativesound.ca. Is there anything better for the same ball park?

Thanks

Ted

MarkRoberts

Stunt Coordinator
Check here they have the DPL/PR combo on sale for $179.00 U.S. Dollars I don't know if that is any cheaper for you.

Ted_Polzin

Stunt Coordinator
Has anybody heard the sub from GR Research as above? I am interested. How much power does it need to play.

Ted

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I have not heard the GR sub but I have heard and owned several of Danny's AV series speakers. Based on those kits I'd highly expect this sub to be a winner as well.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The great thing about the GR Sub is how low it can go in such a small box. It also has more XMax than the DPL12 and at $145 for a driver AND PR it's a great deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobRWA123
Recent bookmarks