Small Direct View Widescreen TVs?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Bill A, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Bill A

Bill A Extra

I bought a new TV when I got my DVD player in 1997. I expected to replace it with a 16:9 display within a few years, but I haven't because I want a direct view TV in the 25" range. Size is the most important factor for me; I don't have space for a 27" screen, let alone a 30" screen, which seems to be the smallest direct view HD TV out there. I'm tempted to go for a LCD, but I'm balking at the $2000-$3000 price tags (plus I'd really prefer direct view). Does anybody know when (or if) direct view TVs will shrink to 25"?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Well, technically, LCD panels are direct-view sets (as are plasma panels). And, presently, they are way too expensive given their performance capabilities (people just can't seem to get over the sex-appeal factor of being able to hang a monitor on the wall, despite the relatively poor color rendition and inadequate black levels).

Unfortunately for you, this is the land where size matters and that means "the bigger the better." Don't know what to suggest, therefore. Are you sure you cannot accommodate one of the new 27-inch HD-capable 4:3 displays?

3. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Likely your only option is going to be a LCD direct view computer monitor.

The good news: Full HDTV resolution on some models[​IMG]

the bad news: As mention, $2000 & up [​IMG]