What's new

Small dilemma on playing movies and tv shows (1 Viewer)

ng4ever

Agent
Real Name
Tim
Not bragging just saying my dilemma is how should I play movies and tv shows with my new projector that is not here yet while waiting for a JVC-NP5 projector to be delivered by Friday maybe sooner.

My problem/dilemma is I can't use a streaming device because I need a headphone 3.5mm jack. Yeah lol I don't use speakers sorry. I have my reasons. Sorry. My headphones are very high quality and I have a ok headphone amp so sound is really loud if need be.
Question is there anyway to use my spare Apple TV 4k streaming device with wired headphones easily or not really? If not I will just use my hdmi cable connected to the back of my pc and connect the other end to the JVC projector. The only thing is I am not sure if the projector will determine like that what is Movies or TV Shows that are HDR and what or not. Does anyone know if it will ? It really the best way maybe or only way to use my wired headphones. Sadly :(

Now then again I do have Apple AirPods Pro but really prefer not to have to use them unless I absolutely have to. :(
I don't know of any streaming device that has a headphone jack directly on the device.
Yes I am trying to find the perfect solution.
If no one knows how to get around this issue or solve it that is ok.

P.S. mods please mod if wrong forum section sorry.

Was thinking would a small form factor pc, a simple one like i3 processor not really powerful just semi powerful, work better sense it should have a headphone jack ? Of course have a hdmi cable from it to the back of the projector. Instead of using my main pc. Oh yeah I have a NAS already so yeah. I can get my blu ray rips easily from it by sharing directory.
Then I could put a os on it don't care which one I guess linux or windows. Then use Kodi as my player maybe. Not sure. Maybe that will be too much. Not cost wise but I mean having to fool with and keep up to date is all.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
You could try something like this (sending the audio to your headphone amp):

No idea quite how well it'll work for you (or how reliable it is... as such HDMI-extender/splitter/extractor/relay/etc devices could possibly be a tad flakey or might have less than great QC)...

It's also sold on Amazon if you prefer that route (for possibly safer/easier returns, if needed) instead of direct from Monoprice...

_Man_

ng4ever

Agent
Real Name
Tim
You could try something like this (sending the audio to your headphone amp):

No idea quite how well it'll work for you (or how reliable it is... as such HDMI-extender/splitter/relay/etc devices could possibly be a tad flakey or might have less than great QC)...

It's also sold on Amazon if you prefer that route (for possibly safer/easier returns, if needed) instead of direct from Monoprice...

_Man_

Thanks.

How would this work please?

Sorry.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
You just run the HDMI output from ATV4K thru it before sending to your PJ, and the audio should be extracted to line level digital output and/or analog stereo, which you'd send to your headphone amp.

One thing. I forget now, but AFAIK, older JVC 4K-capable PJs used to have very sluggish HDMI synching and not sure if that's the case w/ the NP5, so you might run into more (intolerable) issue w/ that than usual...

_Man_

ng4ever

Agent
Real Name
Tim
You just run the HDMI output from ATV4K thru it before sending to your PJ, and the audio should be extracted to line level digital output and/or analog stereo, which you'd send to your headphone amp.

_Man_

Cool. Thanks.

Greatly appreciated!

ng4ever

Agent
Real Name
Tim
My only question is how would I have my headphones connected to my PC and my projector at the same time ?

So I don't have to keep unplugging them and replugging them back in to switch from my projector to my pc or my pc to my projector.

Sorry.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, that's (mostly) something else, heh...

IF you don't wanna do that, then just use your PC to stream. How else are you gonna switch otherwise... unless you're gonna spend significantly more on something more comparable to a prepro (or AVR just to use as prepro) to handle all the switching between them?

Well, you could also try something more complicated along the mux/matrixed switcher variety like this, but might be even less reliable and more flakey or sluggish (as I previously found myself):

That model seems no longer available, but I've tried 2 diff units several years back (before upgrading my prepro to 4K sooner than planned), and both seemed to cause banding in 4K/HDR signals (in certain light colored, fine gradient areas) in my setup (w/ an Epson 4K PJ).

But theoretically, something like that should probably do what you want between different sources and 2 different HDMI outputs (plus the additional audio extraction). I never tried it for extracting audio though... and that might well cause a bit of audio synch issues as such devices might be prone...

_Man_

ng4ever

Agent
Real Name
Tim
Well, that's (mostly) something else, heh...

IF you don't wanna do that, then just use your PC to stream. How else are you gonna switch otherwise... unless you're gonna spend significantly more on something more comparable to a prepro (or AVR just to use as prepro) to handle all the switching between them?

Well, you could also try something more complicated along the mux/matrixed switcher variety like this, but might be even less reliable and more flakey or sluggish (as I previously found myself):

That model seems no longer available, but I've tried 2 diff units several years back (before upgrading my prepro to 4K sooner than planned), and both seemed to cause banding in 4K/HDR signals (in certain light colored, fine gradient areas) in my setup (w/ an Epson 4K PJ).

But theoretically, something like that should probably do what you want between different sources and 2 different HDMI outputs (plus the additional audio extraction). I never tried it for extracting audio though... and that might well cause a bit of audio synch issues as such devices might be prone...

_Man_

Ok thank you.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I would think that *should* work, but that's just my educated guess.

Check w/ the manufacturer and/or B&H -- B&H CSRs are usually pretty good w/ answering such questions. Of course, exactly how well it'll work/perform might be another thing...

What wired headphones do you actually have/use? And your existing headphone DAC/amp?

At that DAC's price point/ballpark, you might end up being better off w/ a good pair of wireless headphones (better than your Airpod Pros, eg. Sony's WH-1000XM4 or 5) instead. But if your wired headphones really are better (and expensive) enough, then maybe this DAC (and using BT) might not be that satisfying anyway... Presumably, you'd also be completely replacing your old DAC/amp w/ this for all uses since you don't wanna physically switch connections (as you mentioned)...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rombrk
Recent bookmarks