small dedicated computer

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Christ Reynolds, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    what the title says. i'll be building one, i found this case that i will most likely put it in. although building a pc like this would be pretty expensive comparitively. anyone have better suggestions? it either has to be small, or fit in an AV rack. and if it isnt black, i'll probably be painting it. the only requirements are that it has to have either onboard sound or the ability to add a card, and it MUST have the ability to connect to a TV via s-video. in fact, this is the only fashion in which it will be used. i can hook it up to a monitor for the initial setup, but after that, i will use it only on a tv. does anyone know if after i restart, will the s-video out still be active, or does it switch back to vga out? thanks for any info.

CJ

2. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

3. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Ooooh: Antec has a new one, The Minuet. Given the quality of Antec cases, I would highly suggest checking it out.

-Dave

4. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

Christ,

Have you seen the picture quality of a PC connected via s-video to an NTSC tv ?

I did this same drill a couple of years ago and depending on what you will be viewing on the tv, the results may be disappointing...

I have an Antec case myself and I am very pleased with the quality. It is not the same one as above.

A micro atx case could limit your future upgrades.

5. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Most video cards that have tv output will remember the last output used on next boot.

6. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

7. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

I hooked mine up to a 27" GAOO so the tv's should be almost the same PQ wise...

A pc image displayed on a 'regular tv' (analogue) is viewable. Ok for games and watching DVD at a distance.

Text is illegible and icons look like paintball splats. You could not use this display for detailed work. I found that there was also overscan issues which I really had to fiddle with to 'correct'.

If you can get an ATX case (there are a few black desktop atx cases around) future upgrades will be easier. Most are a standard 'stereo' component width but deeper.

You will want DVI video out if you can get it (most likely not with on-board video)