small & cheap subwoofer vs. DefTech PowerMonitiors?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve & Karen, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Steve & Karen

Steve & Karen Stunt Coordinator

I have room configuration (& wife acceptance) issues... the options are largish bookshelf speakers with good bass end such as Paradigm Reference Studio 40 and a small and cheap separate powered subwoofer for

2. GregJ

GregJ Agent

I have my big home theater system down stairs with the RPTV, big tower mains, and a big powered sub. Yes it was a battle with the famous wife acceptance level but she has come around and now enjoys benefits of better sound & picture. So much so that we just added a 27" Samsung HDTV and an A/V receiver. For speakers we used small units and a small 8" sub. The sound is very good weather watching TV or listening to music and surprising part is this was a thrown togather system. The speakers are some small 2 way JBL Flix 20 I got off ebay and the sub is a KLH 8" 100 watt unit I got for $89 at 800.com on sale. I still think the big system is better but the small system can hold it's own for a lot less money.

Greg

3. Steve & Karen

Steve & Karen Stunt Coordinator

?

4. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Wait till your budget allows for the SVS 25-31PC/PCI or maybe the Adire rava or dharman. Cheap subs are not worth using, especially if you are going with something decent like Studio 40's.

5. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Steve, I think you should go with the speaker that sounds best to you, and if you have the space go ahead and add an external subwoofer. What price are you getting the Studio40's and PM700's for? Remember that DT also has the much cheaper PM500's. So, go with what you think will match your aesthetic and sonic preferences, remembering not to use an in-store audition as a definitive judge of sound quality [​IMG]

6. Nico

Nico Stunt Coordinator

I'd say go with separate subwoofer not with the PMs. Or get one of the powered Towers (2006TL, etc.).

7. BruZZi

BruZZi Second Unit

Steve , I would go with the Paradigm Studio 40 an external Sub. The PM700's -3dB point is at 37 Hz (Rated by Home Theater Magazine) Good for most music but not for HT (IMO). You can get much better performance with a decent sub placed on the corner. I don't know what you consider small but, if it's possible to spend just a little bit more than $400, get the HSU Research VTF-2 sub(16w x16h x19d) for $448 at http://www.bluewhaleaudio.com/
    Also as Ned mentioned:Rava for $399 (18w x18h x18d)(http://www.adireaudio.com/home_audio...eries/rava.htm)

8. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer