Small center channel recommendation

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas_Berg, Dec 15, 2001.

1. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    well my dad finally gave the nod for upgrading to 5.1 (i just recently convinced him to buy an RP56). he has four in-wall speakers right now and we need a center channel. i have NO idea what kind of speakers they are, but i know they're about 10 years old. he is not keen on the idea of replacing even the front two or even opening them for me to see what brand they are, so any brand of CC that fits the specs below will be fine. i know timbre matching is very important, but he's a J6P that just wants it to work.

the TV is enclosed in a cabinet that isnt much larger than the TV itself. i've measured that there's exactly 6" of height left for a CC...not ANY more. theres also a lip that the speaker would have to go under, so if it could be 5" tall that would be awesome. ive also considered having the CC stand up (while most lay them flat), and i measured, again, 6" of width before the TV blocks it.

what would work here? i need it to be cheap (like under $100) and prefer to get it locally (like BB/CC). anyone know a low-end speaker that would stand up like this? i have the JBL NSP1 package in my dorm room and the center will not stand up b/c it's rounded on the side. TIA guys!

2. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    anyone? i hope to buy this tomorrow...

3. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

5-6" tall, that's really small. I don't think you'll find any individually sold center channels to fit that bill. Well, there's the Bose center, but I don't even think that horrible thing fits your budget.

The only thing I can think of are the tiny center channels that come in those HTIB (home theater in a box) sets you see at BestBuy. A few major companies have them out.

Not the best solution, huh?

You might think about running phantom center, although I don't think dialogue intelligibility will be that great. Then again, a center channel fitting your description won't be that great either....

There's the HomeTheaterDirect Level I center, and it's exactly 6" tall, and only $30 to boot. Don't know if you could get it before Christmas, but it's probably marginally better than those tiny sets I mentioned before.