What's new

Small Car Question (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I have a quick question for you car buffs out there. I recently purchased a '76 Corvette (sweet car, by the way) and have a small problem with it. The light system is supposed to be 3-way: one pull out for internal lamps, two pulls for the normal lights, and three for the brights. Well, for me it's either the brights or nothing. It's not that big of a deal because I rarely drive the car at night, but it would be nice to figure out how to drive without everyone and their mother flashing me to turn down my brights. Any thoughts? There don't appear to be any bulbs out, so I'm pretty sure I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks!

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Nevermind...just found it. There's a button on the left toe panel that toggles between high and low beams.

I'll be sure to post some pics though :)

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
Cool ride, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it. I'd forgotten about those foot switches. Where I live (rust belt), they usually fell through the floor after a few years...

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
You're going to find about the good old days before ergonomics and smog equipment that didn't strangle your power. :)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
..and I thought you wanted to actually talk about "small" cars...you get the vote for most misleading thread title this week. :)

mylan

Screenwriter
I am old enough to remember both of my dad's cars having the floor switches ( 69 Plymouth Valiant and 74 Chevy Suburban) which makes me old I guess. Now, I have to remember if it is a pull or a push to activate brights but there are fewer and fewer places where you even need brights anymore.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

Isn't the switch merely a toggle ?

Does that 76 vette run on unleaded or regular ? Have fun !

mylan

Screenwriter

Yes, it is a toggle but, for instance, in my Jeep you have to pull back on the lever and on my wife's BMW you push forward. If I get confused I end up toggling the "flash to pass" in her car and then I realize I have to push it forward to get it to stay.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I was all ready to discuss the cool Scion xA.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Would be fun to compare the gas mileage of the 76 vette with the 8 cyl, ~210hp and 4-barrel carb versus a 3.3L V-6 that produces 210hp in the Toyo Camry/Highlander...

Ok - maybe there's a bit of torque difference ;)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I remember the '58 Buick we had when I was a kid had 2 floor mounted "dimmer switches". One dimmed the headlights and the other made the signal seeking radio go to the next station. My dad loved to hit the latter when strangers were in the car and make them think the radio was haunted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks