Small but Powerful subs?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JosephJohnson, Jan 11, 2006.

1. JosephJohnson

I'm currently setting up a small room for primarily music listening. I'll have CD, SACD, DVD-A, Sirius, and a turntable. I have everything set-up including speakers and receiver, but right now I'm looking for a small subwoofer that works well for 5.1 music, but won't overpower the room, or click on and off during music playback. What brands should I look at (Sony? Yamaha?) And whom should I avoid? (Bose? KLH?)

2. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I would look at the SVS PB-10isd, the HSU STF2 or the Axiom Audio EP125. All are great little subs that will do more than enough for your room and not over power it unless you want them to.

There are several people on the forum that have these subs and can attest to their abilities. All of these companies offer not only a great product but great customer service after the sale.

Parker

3. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

I think all those subs mentioned are larger than you might want, at least a 25"cube. You might want to check out Velodyne's small servo line. I have an older HGS 10 that works better for music than H.T. I.M.O. and is only 12" tall. Heck, i'll even sell you mine.

4. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

What's your budget and what do you consider small? Also, how big is the room and what type of music do you listen to most?

BTW, I would recommend adding Sony and Yamaha to the list of subs to avoid.

5. Alan M

Alan M Second Unit

I would also recommend the athena P-2 sub.Although it is no longer made,you might be able to find one used.

It is a small 8" sub that blended very well with my magnepan speakers for music listening.

It is still listed on the athena website,and I also might mention it is very different from the current athena line of subs.

6. rob-h

rob-h Second Unit

Anyone tried that minivee yet? By the specs, it does not go real low but its got a thousand watts in a tiny package.

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    It would take a considerable sub to overpower most rooms. Dan hit the nail on the head - 1st, what is your budget? 2nd, what do you actually consider small? The PB-10 isn't exactly small, though bang for the buck it is an excellent sub. The STF-2 is smaller, but it also doesn't go as deep as the PB-10.

Size vs performance, the HGS-10 is impressive as well, but as with most small form factor subs, that size comes at a premium price.

8. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

I'll chime in -- due to a move two years ago and WAF, I've downgraded in size from a Paradigm PDR-10 and Adire Rava to Pinnacle SubSonic, Energy S8.2 (buzzed like crazy, turns out the original owner had returned one and obviously gave up and sold me this one without disclosure) and, just in the last two weeks, the Orb Audio Super 8.

The Pinnacle is about 9" on a side without spikes (mine sits on Vibrapods). The Energy is taller, about 15-16", and deeper; the Super 8 is almost exactly a 12" cube.

I can heartily recommend the Pinnacle, especially for music -- it's a dipole sealed design that puts out simply amazing bass, both quality AND quantity, for its miniscule size. It provides the low end for my Maggie MC1s powered by a NAD C370 integrated and the combination is very nice IMO. The Pinnacle is generally available for around $500 online.

The Super 8 backs up a pair of KEF Q3s and is also pretty amazing for what it can do for the size. It's just a *tad* slower than the Pinnacle, since it's ported, but in a direct A-B comparison it mopped the floor with the Energy in every respect except extension, where they were about equal. It's tight, fast, deep and pretty darn loud. It retails for $399 direct from Orb Audio and I think they only charge nine bucks shipping, so it's well priced.

Another contenduh might be Outlaw Audio's LFM-2, which I considered but did not buy. It's bigger than the Super 8 but the specs are quite similar.

If size is your overwhelming priority, though, I would look at Pinnacle's SubSonic and its bigger brother, Baby Boomer. If your budget is higher, you can of course consider the little Velodyne or Sunfire Jr.

FWIW!

9. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

One more note: I was having issues with the Super 8 turning on and off when the system was running @ low volume (both music and movies) so I took the advice of someone else who'd posted -- can't remember if it was here or AVS or Audio Asylum -- about having the same problem who was told by Orb Audio to just leave the power switch on all the time.

I just turn mine on in the morning (I'm a work-at-home dad a la "Adam @ Home" and off at night before bed.

10. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I didn't see a budget mentioned, but you could also consider the Carver/Sunfire sub:

Sunfire True Subwoofer