Small but powerful sub

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Andrew Pezzo, May 21, 2003.

1. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

I am looking to add a sub to my HT but would like to build one. Currently I have Def Tech BP2006TL's and and CLR2300 which all have built in 8 inch powered subs. They are more than ample but would still like to add a sub. Basically I want to the sub to be as small as possible while being able to add some serious bass.

I guess my first question is how small of a driver can I use? And if I use a small driver will it have plenty of slam (is there where the amp comes in?). My living room doesnt have much space, hence my need for a small sub. I need to some getting pointed in the right direction as DIY subs are new to me.

2. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

Before anyone is going to be able to really help you, we'll need to know what your budget is.

A high quality DIY sub, capable of hitting reference levels in most rooms can be had for around $300-350 assuming you can do all the work yourself.

Unfortunately, most of these subs are going to be rather large and may exceed your size limits (what exactly are your size limitations?)

Small subwoofers can be made to have the performance of a larger enclosure from a smaller one, which use a circuit called a linkwitz transform. As far as I know, these are complicated to make and require gobs of power (which equals a pricy amplifier.)

Provide us with a little more information and I'm sure someone can steer you in the right direction.

3. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

I would like to keep it under $500 but it appears that may be tough. The size I had in mind was similar to Sunfire subs I have seen, at least the smaller ones. They are very small but very powerful, and also very expensive. Like I said, I dont need the sub but if I could build one that fits my requiements I would love to undertake the project. Access to tools is not a problem.

Any input is helpful since this is new to me. And thanks Mark for helping me ask the right questions.

4. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

In order to get a small, powerful sub you need several key components: 1. A driver with high excursion 2. A powerful amp 3. Lots of EQ or an LT.
    Add those 3 components together and you will exceed your $500 limit by quite a bit.[​IMG]

5. Ditto on everything Kyle said.

6. Bill Fagal

Bill Fagal Stunt Coordinator

How about this:

1 Stryke AV12 ($140)
    1 converted JBL MPC200/230 ($143)
    1 Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro ($125)

Slap the AV12 into a small sealed box and EQ to taste with the BFD. Total minus box materials and shipping--$408.

7. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

I was definately going into this blind with the budget. If size wasnt not as much of an issue what other options would I have at approixmately the same budget? My main speakers have powered subs, Def Tech BP2006TL's and CLR2300, which does give me great bass bit a little more would be nice.

8. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Out of shear curiousty, have you measured just how deep the extension is of your current DT's, when all are active??

Also, at what spl can they do it at. This requires a spl meter and a step frequency disc to check this out.

I'd be very suprised if you have much usable spl below 25hz and thats being quite gererous....
    This is NOT ment in anyway to disrespect your DT-speaks, but a real powered sub (as your looking into) will definitly be very noticed once installed.

The bigger you can go in cabinet size, the cheaper deep powerfull bass can come to you.

The guys have already explained what it takes to go small to very small in a powefull sub. $$$ are required for that no question...

Regards
    Geoff

9. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer