Small, but good quality diy bookshelves.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam O, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Adam O

Adam O Stunt Coordinator

Title pretty much says it all. Ill be integrating these with a sub already have so the sub 80Hz are not of concern with repsect to F response. Im looking for something on the smaller side, less than 12" high, 7-10" wide, 7-10" deep. It has to have a good, relatively flat, response, none of this crap with a 20dB dip/peak @ 12kHz - 13kHz for example[​IMG].
    Price range: if at all possible sub $250-$275.
    BTW, I would like to start off with one pair and add another pair for rears and a single unit up front some time in the future; if this matters
    BTW, should I consider designing my own speaker instead, will this save me money??[​IMG]
    Thanks, Adam

2. Michael Hartwig

Michael Hartwig Stunt Coordinator

I think the speakers you are looking for are the Ed Frias ARdiy speaker:
    http://www.audioreview.com/Learncrx.aspx (if you also go to Discussions/ Tweaks, Diy and Mods you will see alot of postings about Ed's (EFE) speakers)
    I too live in Canada. I ordered all my speakers and electronic parts from Solens (in Quebec) and made my own cabs out of 1" MDF and 1/4" Baltic Birch veneer. The total cost with all the hardware and finishing was about $400 CAD.
    I have built about 5 pairs to date (for family) and am currently building a set of 6 for my brother who currently has Paradigms Reference 80s (he heard my speakers and was blown away by the clearity).
    I have 3 front mains (ARdiys) and a 15" diy Tempest sub. I am totally thrilled with my sound.

3. Wes Nance

Wes Nance Stunt Coordinator

Try speakerpage.com. They have a small bookshelf speaker that is highly regarded. I am building it now and a center channel. Under $100/pr- very good value for the money. . .

Wes

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Wes,

I should be installing the drivers for the bookshelfs (and maybe the towers) on Monday as well as assembling the cabinet for the center.

Brian

5. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

I just finished a pair of SCH's lowest-priced monitors, and they sound really good for the money. You could step up to their higher-priced monitors and still be within budget and have great sound/value.
    I'd buy three of their K05B50 now. That gets you your LCR to begin with, and under budget.

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Hank,

Keep in mind that SCH is currently out of stock on the tweeters used in the K05B50 and the center channel. But I imagine Ken should have those back in stock fairly shortly. Well, I'm off to the shop to assemble my first pair! We should have tunes by noon!

Brian