What's new

Small bookshelf speaker opinions (1 Viewer)

Yann

Auditioning
I'm looking at acquiring a small but high quality bookshelf speaker for a primarily music system. I would like to stay under $300 a pair, which does limit my choices somewhat (if only money grew on trees...). I'll be driving them with a Sony STR-D915, an old but rather good receiver (about 110W RMS). I've given a lot of consideration to the Klipsch SB-1, as well as looking into some of the Polk products (RT25i or RT15i). Does anyone have some suggestions or recommendations before I set out on my all day listening tour? Of course I will be bringing a set of my favorite CDs to give them a spin. As a side thought, does anyone have recommendations on speaker wire for such a small system? I'm currently leaning toward the ubiquitous monster cable.

Dan_Jones

Stunt Coordinator

james e m

Second Unit
I would say check out a pair of Paradigm Mini Monitors. They are great little speakers, I know I love mine. I enjoy using them for music also.

james

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I have the Polk 25i speakers in my bedroom set-up and I'm not overly enamored of them. I used to have Paradigm Mini Monitors as my fronts and they were great. A friend of mine bought my Paradigm Titans and I was listening to them the other day. I was blown away with how good they sounded. Mordaunt Short Declaration 902s are intriging little speakers. I'm thinking of replacing my Polks with them.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
JBL S38 $299 SHIPPED from JANDR.com (check out review from stereophile.com)..Amazing speakers...

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
Isn't anyone a fan of BA around here? Check out the CR85s. Retail is $399/pr, found them locally for less than $300.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I have both the Paradigm Mini Monitors and the Titans. I use the Minis for fronts and the Titans for the rear. I have done some extensive A-B comparison between the 2. They are both very similar, but the Minis have a better mid range. The Titans sounded slightly harsher on the high end. The Minis also image better. That is not to say that the Titans are bad speakers. The Titans are great speakers that almost match the Mini Monitors, it is just that their 3/4 CMC tweeter doesn't quite have the range of the 1" PTD. The only problem you will have is that I paid $314 + tax for the Minis. That is slightly out of your range. But the Titans only cost $194 + tax. For $200 the Titans are excellent speakers.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I demoed a pair of Polk RT3i5s this weekend, and I was quite unimpressed. Their previous price was roughly that of the Mini Monitors (MSRP $350), and they don't even compare to the Minis. Even at their current close-out prices, they are not worth what is being asked. In fact, I would compare them more closely to Paradigm Titans. I have Mini Monitors and have zero complaints about them. They do a great job for either music or HT. I also have 2 pairs of Titans, and they are great speakers for the price.

Under $300, I would recommend a pair of Titans. Very good sound for right around $200 (I just picked up a pair for $189) Monster XP should be perfect for your system. Good quality wire without being expensive.

I don't want to pick on you, but the 915 hardly puts out 110wpc. It is rated @ 1khz, PEAK, NOT 20-20Khz, and the DE line from Sony is known for their weak amps. I would expect this receiver actually puts out more like 50wpc cleanly, during demanding material, if you are lucky. I got rid of my 815 for $50 a few months ago, rated at 100wpc and it just had too much distortion.

I replaced it with a demo unit Marantz SR4000 that is 70wpc 20-20Khz, and it is like night and day. Music is SO much more clean and there is basically no distortion at levels the 815 would have been choking at. Even at elevated listening levels for about an hour, the 4000 does not even get warm, and it only cost me $150.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Acoustic Research Hi-Res AR15 or AR17
You can read reviews by users at www.audioreview.com or you
can go to Phil Intralude's web site and follow the link to
a $4000.00 AR Hi-Res complelete system review by S&V or you
could check out the Secrets of High Fidelity web site for
an AR1 Review (same mids and tweet as the AR15)

Yann

Auditioning
Thanks for all the advice so far! I've basicly thrown out the Polk line of speakers. I would like to audition an Axiom, but they really aren't easy to find (local retailers that is). I have put the Paradigm Titan on the list of speakers I would like to hear. I haven't seem any word on the Klipsch yet, anyone have a report on those? On my current receiver, I've personaly never noticed that, but I'll sure pay attention to it once I get a decent pair of speakers hooked up. Once again, thanks for your help!

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
If you can, try to audition the Mission M71 and M72. The M71 just received a glowing review in Stereophile. I am going to audition these at my local dealer. BTW, J&R have the M71 at US$199.95/pair and the M72 at US$299.95/pair. They are an authorized dealer even though their name didn't show up on the authorized dealer list. How did I know? I received a call from Denon, Mission's distributor in the US, and they recommend (rather highly) J&R.

Kenny Booth

Stunt Coordinator
You never said is this sterio? 5.1? Sub?

5.1 with sub go with Paradigm Titan--like it louder go with Paradigm Minis.

Sterio no sub--go with JBL S38--@ $299 shipped that's a deal.

Home Depo for speaker wire

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I forgot to mention, while I was at Circuit sChity demoing the Polks (hate that place, but Polks are on closeout so I figured I'd check them out), I also noticed the Infinity IL10s. Both were with an Onkyo 595 stereo, no sub. The IL10s were quite impressive, and are currently selling for $299/pr at Crutchfield (one could likely find them for less elsewhere though). Infinity has always had excellent tweeters, and the midrange is very clear. Nice looking too. I would definitely give these a listen, as I thought they sounded great, and are a good buy at that price.

Another excellent speaker is the NHT SB2 - small, sealed, nice tweeters and very tight, accurate midrange. MSRP is a little above what you are looking to spend though, at around $400/pr.

Doug Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Yann - I second your idea of looking at the Klipsch. You might even be able to find the SB-2 for close to $350, especially if you don't mind buying off the 'net. There are some places (not authorized dealers, but that doesn't always matter -- up to you) that have some pretty good deals.

My suggestion for your listening session is to close your eyes and let your mind really focus on the sound. Also, it is unlikely you'll find Klipsch, Polk, and JBL in the same place. See what the dealer's return policy is - it would be great if you could take home the "finalists" and a/b compare them in YOUR surroundings.

Doug

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I've heard almost all the speakers mentioned - saved the ARs and the Missions - and I think all of them are great speakers. It just depends on how you like them to sound. Personally, I think the Polk Audio RT25i and the RT35i are great-sounding speakers, even at their regular price. I will also add B&W 303, KEF Cresta 2, JBL S26, Athena Technologies S2, Wharfedale Diamond 8.1 and 8.2, Home Theater Direct Level Three bookshelfs, and if you can still find them, the great Boston Acoustics CR8. They are all $300.00/pair or under.

I will wait for Phil I. to chime in for his opinions on the JBL S26. I owned these before and they were great!

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Yann since you're in California I believe, also take a look at the Cambridge SOundworks Newton line of bookshelf speakers which are in your price range. I think everyone else has already mentioned all of my other ideas.

cheers,

--tom

Dan_Jones

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to audition an Axiom, but they really aren't easy to find (local retailers that is)
Remember that Axiom provides a 30-Day money back guarantee, which would probably be something like $30 for the M3Ti's, still putting you below $300...but I doubt you'd be considering sending them back after hearing them...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks