Small apartment, is a Mitsubishi 55" HDtv too big?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Howie A, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Howie A

Howie A Second Unit

I think our viewing area gives us between 4 to 7 feet tops, we got an incredible deal on this Mitsu and have been advised by others on the forum to run back and get it. Do we have enough room in our apartment to get the maximum viewing pleasure this tv can offer or are we biting off more than we can chew? Thanks.

2. Dave Bohn

Dave Bohn Auditioning

Yes, go for it. What kind of a deal are you getting. Right now i have a little room with a 55819. From the end of a chair you might have 5 feet and the other chair 10 feet.

3. Howie A

Howie A Second Unit

4. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I was reading through your previous post and read that you were somewhat disappointed with it and could see scan lines. If 7 feet back is as far as you can sit, you may not get a good image with non DVD/HD sources. I recently looked at a new Pioneer Elite 53 inch at Ultimate electronics. Their couch was about 7 foot back from the tv, and when viewing LD the image was a little soft. I then stood about another 2 foot behind the couch, and it made a big difference. All I would say is to not get to caught up in getting a great deal. It doesn't matter how good of a deal you get if once you get it home, you are unhappy with the image quality. Just be sure that whatever purchase you make, you are going to be happy with the end result.

5. Dave Bohn

Dave Bohn Auditioning

I was a little shocked to see that it won't take a 720p and convert it up. As for the glare you saw i removed the front dust screen and was happy with the results. The picture quality all depends on the source. I have digial cable that only runs about 3 feet out of the cable box and the picture is great on TLC, Discovery and other channels that come to my provider in a digital dish signal. The local stations are ok. I love watching movies in 480i and just bought componet cables and will be getting a progressive DVD player soon. As with the other people on here, if you can buy it for less the $2000 do it now. If your not happy you will be able to sell it for more than that to someone on here or eBay.

Dave
    Mits WS-55819

6. john smithson

john smithson Stunt Coordinator

dont bother .get the best tube tv you can get.rear projectors dont look good if your too close.and if you are on an angle when sitting close they look horrible.

7. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

At such a close distance for such a large screen, you'll definitely notice any flaws in the signal big time.

I can't give you a definitive yea or nay, but I'd say: Look at it in the store from your viewing distance and make your best guess.

I'm a fan of smaller RPTVs for such close quarters (for the record, I have a small living room, sit about 8' back, and bought a 42" Tosh). The Tosh has the advantage of being about 6" shallower than most RPTVs, so you gain another half-foot of viewing distance.

For an immersive movie experience, bigger is better...but not if you're seeing all the defects rather than the movie. It's a tough call. Good luck!

Jan

8. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

Howie I would get a 36 inch HD Wega. Don;t go to big for your room. I bought a 61 inch for a 9 foot viewing distance. It's great for widescreen content but it's too big and bright for the room really.